Author Topic: Using the new ''Decals'' feature  (Read 1917 times)

2021-11-20, 07:32:21

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I'm trying to use the new decals option, but i don't see any ''decals'' material or object?
I tried a standard material, but it doesnt work.

How does it work?

thank you :)
Mo

2021-11-20, 10:49:09
Reply #1

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think decals are already supported in C4D, only in Max.
But they should release something soon, I think :)

2021-11-21, 18:00:08
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Correct, it's not in C4D yet - you can check what is in C4D dailies to date in the changelog https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=34088

Max and C4D handle lots of things about materials differently, e.g. UV mapping, material stacking, etc., so it's one of those things that is not a straight "just stick the code in the other version and tada!" ;) So once we got it working in the core, there is still a lot of (careful) work that needs doing to get it working in C4D.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-12-19, 11:09:20
Reply #3

Nas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see now the latest daily build supports decals for C4D but still cannot figure out how it works. Anyone tried it already?

2021-12-19, 17:50:12
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see now the latest daily build supports decals for C4D but still cannot figure out how it works. Anyone tried it already?

They're just fancy "labels" with a lot of potential and you can use them in cloners, for example, which makes them superior to a pure material solution.
Play with the attached file and ask if questions come up.
Somebody should be able to answer them, hopefully ;)

CU
Michael

2021-12-21, 22:07:22
Reply #5

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the great it is works very more than one object and are super easy to setup, i waited long for such a thing.

make sure you set the effect distance big enough

2022-03-01, 17:45:13
Reply #6

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a bump to say that it really is a great tool. Just used it for the first time properly and it must have shaved at least 3 hours off today's job that would have normally been spent wrestling with C4D's UVs and similar on a nasty CAD model.