Author Topic: Corona Material Library - Appreciation & discussion thread  (Read 42615 times)

2017-09-25, 22:33:38
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it's 3ds max limitation. Materials never was aware of scene units change. But of course if Corona team would find a way to overcome this, that would be a big point to their reputation :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-09-25, 23:01:54
Reply #16

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization

2017-09-25, 23:15:34
Reply #17

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all: The matlib is a great addition!! Will definitely help even advanced users if made right.

Critique/suggestions:

• Real world scale is necessary.
• Triplanar mapping should be used for all bitmaps.
• Avoid making lots of materials where color is the only difference. It clutters the matlib, and having a CoronaColor-map/Multimap to change the base color to whatever suits your need is better.
• I see little use for materials with small bitmaps. Making a texture that only looks good on the shader ball, but not on a 3x3m wall is pretty pointless.
• Making "wet" and "dy" variants of common exterior materials would be great. (Pavement, concrete etc)

• No "Pilsner" shader?! Come on!

Hi

Thanks for your feedback . Actually using triplanar maps for all shaders is not possible as some textures have defined direction e.g. woods and triplanar is used in cases when there is no defined direction of texture like scratches dirt etc

Which materials do you feel have small textures not usable on large surfaces ?

2017-09-25, 23:46:52
Reply #18

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@romullus - yes, the lack of scale when drag & dropped is a max limitation. However when "Respect system units in file" is checked in the system unit dialog, imported materials (on objects) will scale correct - exept for a few parameters, as for example "round edges" size.

So the workaround is to make matlibs for every (or at least some) units, and then choose the right one either manually or automatic.

PS - when converting materials unit this way, one must be aware that procedurals (noise etc.) are scaled by the UVW size, which can't exceed 999,999. So ideally when making scale able materials in millimeter, the UVW for procedurals should be kept below 1.

2017-09-26, 00:48:19
Reply #19

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all: The matlib is a great addition!! Will definitely help even advanced users if made right.

Critique/suggestions:

• Real world scale is necessary.
• Triplanar mapping should be used for all bitmaps.
• Avoid making lots of materials where color is the only difference. It clutters the matlib, and having a CoronaColor-map/Multimap to change the base color to whatever suits your need is better.
• I see little use for materials with small bitmaps. Making a texture that only looks good on the shader ball, but not on a 3x3m wall is pretty pointless.
• Making "wet" and "dy" variants of common exterior materials would be great. (Pavement, concrete etc)

• No "Pilsner" shader?! Come on!

Hi

Thanks for your feedback . Actually using triplanar maps for all shaders is not possible as some textures have defined direction e.g. woods and triplanar is used in cases when there is no defined direction of texture like scratches dirt etc

Which materials do you feel have small textures not usable on large surfaces ?

True that. Wood is kind of an exception, yes. :)

Didn't go through every single material, but I reacted when I saw the stucco materials. The texture seems to be about 1x1m. Repetitions will be very obvious when applied to something larger.

2017-09-29, 15:32:58
Reply #20

pavelgrk

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello, found a bug. When you open a window material library hold the mouse on any of them, appears the icon "favorite" (by the way star has a bit of a strange shape) and then a tip material. But she then disappears. You can see in the screenshots. Version RC4

2017-09-29, 16:03:58
Reply #21

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
Hello, found a bug. When you open a window material library hold the mouse on any of them, appears the icon "favorite" (by the way star has a bit of a strange shape) and then a tip material. But she then disappears. You can see in the screenshots. Version RC4
Hi, thank you. The bug is already fixed and the fix should be in next RC.
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2017-10-03, 10:55:28
Reply #22

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really appreciate the material library and I'm going to use the metals/plastics/etc, but the ones with repeating textures aren't tiling very well. There are very visible patterns, even on small surfaces. An idea would be to ask one of the big texture sites/companies if they would like to donate sample textures or something, in exchange for a logo or a visible credit?

2017-10-03, 10:59:13
Reply #23

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-10-03, 14:53:55
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
In RC5 filtering by category resets to All, everytime when some material is marked\unmarked as favorite.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-10-03, 15:00:45
Reply #25

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Monkeybrother

could you please be more specific - which materials do you mean?

The wood and concrete textures are the ones I tried. Haven't looked at every material.

2017-10-03, 15:10:26
Reply #26

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes well it´s not very easy to make huge surface texture without visible tiling. These woods should tile ca at 150cm which I thought would be sufficient for most occasions

Did you try mapping at 150cm scale?

2017-10-03, 15:35:40
Reply #27

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes well it´s not very easy to make huge surface texture without visible tiling. These woods should tile ca at 150cm which I thought would be sufficient for most occasions

Did you try mapping at 150cm scale?

No, it's not easy, it wasn't meant as critique. But I would have to say that 150cm isn't very much if you have even a normal sized wood or concrete floor.

2017-10-03, 15:36:18
Reply #28

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
In RC5 filtering by category resets to All, everytime when some material is marked\unmarked as favorite.
Thank you. It will be fixed.
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2017-10-03, 15:43:24
Reply #29

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile

[/quote]

No, it's not easy, it wasn't meant as critique. But I would have to say that 150cm isn't very much if you have even a normal sized wood or concrete floor.
[/quote]

Critique not taken and if yes only as positive :) Yes 150cm is not very much but as for wood floors, you can work this simply around by creating individual planks in photoshop and then distributing over floorgen geometry. This way you can achieve a lot less tiling over larger areas. As for concrete larger texture area might be the requirement for update for next release or update of Material Library

Thank you for your input