Author Topic: How to handle not matchable maya nodes?  (Read 3816 times)

2014-08-10, 15:02:02

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I need some advice how to handle maya nodes which cannot be recreated in OSL to 100%. One of these are all noise/fractal nodes. Even if I can create an interesting result, it is not possible to get the same result as you can see in mayas nodes. So the question is:

Should I try to do my very best even if it looks differently?
Or is it much more useful to create my own fractal/noise nodes which are independent from maya?

2014-08-10, 19:29:29
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I remember Keymaster being very frustrated of how slow 3ds Max procedural maps are, and there was an idea to create Corona's own noise maps. Those would be in Corona core, so they could then be shared across different softwares. But i can also imagine many people will want to use native Maya nodes with Corona, so matching them as closely as possible is probably inevitable.

2014-09-27, 03:10:22
Reply #2

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would rather have like Bercon maps for fractals in noise than Maya native nodes. They are open source I believe and can be ported to any renderer.
Maya 2016
Windows 10

2014-09-28, 14:09:23
Reply #3

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This would be possible, but adding external textures is not a problem, adding the internal ones is a problem.

2014-09-29, 09:29:26
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
This would be possible, but adding external textures is not a problem, adding the internal ones is a problem.

I played with Maya procedurals recently, and they are quite weak compared to Max ones, so i think if you ported Bercon instead, no one would miss Maya native ones. Problem is, though, that anyone who would wanna convert their current scenes to Corona while trying to keep materials same, would probably fail if those materials would rely on procedurals much.