Author Topic: mac studio / mac pro m2 ultra  (Read 8891 times)

2023-08-03, 21:01:22
Reply #45

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ha could soon get to 3000 with a few Corona and Redshift renders :-)

2023-08-04, 11:39:22
Reply #46

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just got my Mac Studio with the M2 ultra. I've uploaded the result of the benchmark to the user-submitted results for all who was waiting for that. The result is very similar to what PhilW posted before.

meanwhile i ordered a mac studio m2 ultra (24c, 60 cores gpu, 192gb ram, 4tb ssd). should arrive in about 3 weeks. will post the benchmark when the new mac is ready to use.

2023-08-06, 14:51:17
Reply #47

wsiew

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@prince_jr: You ordered a M2 ultra with 60 core GPU but not with 76 core. I asked me if there is a difference between these configurations. Do you know if the 76 core could accelerate the viewport or anything else in C4D/Corona?

2023-08-06, 21:06:14
Reply #48

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@wsiew can't answer your question finally. but corona basically is cpu related. others here can provide better information than me.

to me, it was important that i have a new mac studio that i can use for a long time. so, rather more ram than gpu cores. my main work is photography with heavy mediumformat raw files (semi self-employed), cad and lastly 3d-rendering. but rendering not for a living.

btw...i don't work in the video segment, so gpu is not prior to me. and the price of mac studio m2 ultra is enormous, too. i can't afford a maxed out mac studio m2 ultra. that's why chose between 60cores/192gb ram or 76cores/128gb

maybe there are some benchmarks on the web/youtube, which focus on 60 vs 76 cores. but i guess it's not a giant leap in performance. and the m2 ultra is a hell of a machine anyway.

2023-08-29, 21:00:01
Reply #49

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi folks
here's my result running the benchmark > see attachment

it's the same speed as the other ranked mac studio m2 ultra in the benchmark results.

2023-08-31, 18:33:14
Reply #50

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This discussion makes me think about previous threads where I lamented the meaning of these benchmark numbers. Basically, it's difficult to relate them to the real-world. I couldn't find that thread, but in the past over at core4d.com, I would ask people to open the Grapes scene from the Asset Browser and just hit Render to Picture Viewer. At least it's an actual scene one might need to render and we all have access to that scene. It is not Corona, but will test the CPU and give you a render time.

For example, I just found a couple of older screen grabs of the Grapes test. 2013 Trashcan 6-core: 10 min, 3 sec. 2017 iMac Pro 18-core:  3 min, 19 sec. For my brain, I can figure out that's about a 223% increase in render speed. When I upgrade, that's what I want to see, not a meager 20%. I can use this info to guess how long a job will take to render on the new machine. That's just me.

I don't remember how the Corona benchmark works. Does it just render for a specific time and then just see how many rays it used?

2023-08-31, 19:18:41
Reply #51

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep I think time must be the constant factor.

2023-08-31, 21:43:34
Reply #52

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
some may remember this thread here:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=53f27ps93iqd7jar9dp9fg74nv&topic=33540.0;all

there we have a comparison of an architectural scene:
https://blog.corona-renderer.com/corona-c4d-a1-1/

i share my render now (3840x2160px, noise level 3.0%) > see attachment
i'm happy with the render time result, as 3d rendering is more of a part time job than a full time job for me.

@BigAl3D: i hope you now have an idea of ​​render times for the mac studio m2 ultra.
i wasn't able to render the grapes scene, because the scene loaded weird in the newest c4d-version. that's why i decided to use the apartment scene.

2023-08-31, 21:50:10
Reply #53

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
compared to my apartment rendering (mac pro 2010, 12core, 3.46 ghz, 128gb) with 152mins in the other thread, 39mins with my new mac studio is fast :o) > 3.9x faster exactly.

2023-10-20, 12:07:56
Reply #54

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Community and contributors to this thread

I wanted to invite you to look into a critical performance issue I am having with my Apple Mac Studio M2. See link below.
_

Maybe you are affected as well, having your M-chip performing up to 5 times slower in some scenes and not noticing it.

If you have the chance to render a a recent scene on an Intel Mac in comparison with an Apple M System I would be interested in the speed difference in relation to the Corona Benchmark results or Cinebench. Are the values/differences accordingly ?

Maybe you can also generate a basic scene (with objects and textures) that renders around 10-15 min on your Mac Studio so I can test it on my iMac i9 to have some results ? That would be great.
_

See the other post :

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=41180.0

Thank you

Best – A