Author Topic: [solved] Unable to save in OpenEXR 32bit format  (Read 991 times)

2022-06-04, 11:53:41

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi to all,

I've noticed recently that from CIE I am unable to save to an OpenEXR 32bit format.
While the saving process is completed successfully, the file itself once opened in Photoshop CS is completely white!
I don't know if is a 3ds Max bug or a Corona CIE one.

I use 3ds Max 2022 + corona-9-3dsmax-daily-2022-05-27.

Let me know if you can reproduce the problem.
Have a nice weekend,

Dionysios -
« Last Edit: 2022-06-06, 14:58:12 by maru »

2022-06-06, 08:07:20
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you using EXR-IO to open the file (it's free), because natively Photoshop is pretty terrible at working with EXRs. Also, 16 bit would probably work just fine, try that see if it makes a difference. That said, CS is very old now I believe, so there may not be an EXR-IO compatible with it, and it is likely to be even worse at handling EXRs (it's from 2003 - might be time to move to another image editor, even a free one probably can beat the pants off a near 20 year old Photoshop)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-06-06, 11:44:31
Reply #2

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Are you using EXR-IO to open the file (it's free), because natively Photoshop is pretty terrible at working with EXRs. Also, 16 bit would probably work just fine, try that see if it makes a difference. That said, CS is very old now I believe, so there may not be an EXR-IO compatible with it, and it is likely to be even worse at handling EXRs (it's from 2003 - might be time to move to another image editor, even a free one probably can beat the pants off a near 20 year old Photoshop)

Hi Tom and thanks for your answer.
I agree with what you've said but I guess is not the case unfortunately:

The OpenXR saved file gives an I/O error when I try to open it in 3ds Max! So there is something technically broken I guess.

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2022-06-06, 13:38:06
Reply #3

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hey Dionysios,

Is there a chance you can send over this file?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-06-06, 13:39:50
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you give the steps for making the EXR, starting right from where you are in Max? E.g. is this "Render, save to EXR from Max, open in CIE, edit the Lightmix, save to CXR from CIE, this CXR from the CIE is no longer valid though the one saved from Max was fine" ? Also can you send in the CXR before and after CIE editing (ie working vs. broken) - this can be done by opening a ticket at support.chaos.com and using "Submit a Request" (include a link to this forum post in the request, and attach the file to the request). Meantime, are you sure the CIE was updated when installing the latest daily, what version does the CIE say it is? Thanks!

2022-06-06, 14:38:23
Reply #5

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Guys.........

I am so sorry!
I was saving stupidly in OpenEXR and for error I was selecting the Integer 32bit format instead of the Full Float one.
Call me a stupid.... 😒

False alarm, excuse me all!!!

Dionysios -

2022-06-06, 14:50:20
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
No worries, glad the issue is resolved! TY for updating us :)

2022-06-06, 14:57:57
Reply #7

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
TY for updating us :)

The minimum I can do after verifying my stupid steps! :D