Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Daily Builds

Tonemapping playground!

<< < (2/13) > >>

romullus:
Why is aces almost always so contrasty? I didn't have a chance to test Corona's implementation yet, but judging from examples here and also what i see in other apps, it's always the same crushed shadows and overly compressed highlights. Maybe it's my uncalibrated monitor, i don't know, but usually when i look at nice images in the gallery, or artwork in general, i don't see much issues with colours or contrast, so i guess my monitor is not very far off and it's something with aces itself that i don't like it. I guess i'm just not a fan of that overly punchy look.

maru:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2022-04-06, 19:53:09 ---Why is aces almost always so contrasty? I didn't have a chance to test Corona's implementation yet, but judging from examples here and also what i see in other apps, it's always the same crushed shadows and overly compressed highlights. Maybe it's my uncalibrated monitor, i don't know, but usually when i look at nice images in the gallery, or artwork in general, i don't see much issues with colours or contrast, so i guess my monitor is not very far off and it's something with aces itself that i don't like it. I guess i'm just not a fan of that overly punchy look.

--- End quote ---

I think this is very, very scene-dependent. My examples are highly contrasty even with no ACES OT operator. When it's added, they become even more contrasty. In a different scene (maybe exterior? something with soft, diffuse light?) it might look very different.

romullus:
I understand that, but if it's one button solution, then it means that in 50% of cases it might be unusable.

maru:
Some more experiments. Light with negative color values in different color spaces.

Bonus:

ACES OT vs no operators - https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/CgEh27

ACES OT Wide RGB vs ACES OT ACEScg - hair color changes :D - https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/a64c75

maru:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2022-04-06, 20:19:22 ---I understand that, but if it's one button solution, then it means that in 50% of cases it might be unusable.

--- End quote ---

Unusable? I think that's a bit too harsh. If you don't like the result of applying the ACES OT operator, you can lower the contrast using other operators, like contrast, or Reinhard highlight compression (before or after the ACES OT operator).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version