Author Topic: Corona watches  (Read 9901 times)

2012-11-06, 02:58:13

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My second render, with the same model, but some materials and lights adjustments.
( aluminium look better now ;).
I really appreciate Corona more and more.

2012-11-06, 07:57:09
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If you want to have contrasty and deep metal materials, then always be sure to use very low diffuse (gray RGB 4-12) Also, never use reflection level at 1, maybe except mirrors, but raise Fresnel IOR instead ;)

2012-11-06, 13:53:54
Reply #2

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, that's right, I use IOR 20 for metal, seems to be OK, but I have some problems with glass material, I use solid geometry, but a lot of light is "catched" by the glass, so all geometry behind glass are dark.
I have tried two sided material on 1 face glass objet, but some stranges shadows appears in render.

2012-11-06, 14:09:12
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In this case I think it's best to use very thin (not single faced) geometry with 1-sided glass material.

In my opinion: leather is too shiny and too bumpy and metal is too smooth and too reflective.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-11-06, 14:26:10
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Thanks, that's right, I use IOR 20 for metal, seems to be OK, but I have some problems with glass material, I use solid geometry, but a lot of light is "catched" by the glass, so all geometry behind glass are dark.
I have tried two sided material on 1 face glass objet, but some stranges shadows appears in render.
try 1-sided geometry with thin (twosided) glass. If there are any artifacts, post them here, maybe it's a bug.

When using solid glass, you get SDS configuration (specular diffuse specular). If you combine that with small light sources/HDRI with bright spots, you cannot render that correctly with any commonly used algorithm. There is however progressive photon mapping in daily versions of corona, which could work
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-06, 15:29:15
Reply #5

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, I will try some tests with geometry/material

2012-11-07, 01:32:24
Reply #6

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have made some tests, it seems that the glass twosided thin material cause shading artefacts.
The more I raise the reflection level, the more they are visible.
I have attached an image of renders.

2012-11-07, 11:53:13
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hm, can you post (simplified) scene? (just glass, frame, the object behind it with artifacts, and the light sources? Either here, or on my mail (keymaster at keymaster.cz)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-08, 00:53:43
Reply #8

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.
I sent you the simplified scene to your email,
just render from camera009.
The problem is coming from sunlight I think, because, when I turn it off, or lower the intensity to 0.1 / 0.15, artefacts are not visible.
I can get rid off artefacts with sun intensity to 0.15 and glass reflection level to 0.4 up to 0.6.
thanks for your help.

2012-11-10, 14:52:27
Reply #9

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In this case I think it's best to use very thin (not single faced) geometry with 1-sided glass material.

In my opinion: leather is too shiny and too bumpy and metal is too smooth and too reflective.

You're right, I will change that (for leather),  but for metal, what do you mean ?

2012-11-10, 17:20:30
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

You're right, I will change that (for leather),  but for metal, what do you mean ?
For me, it looks like cheap chinese aluminium. Too smooth and too bright. I would try to make it a bit rough and give it really low glossiness. But I may be wrong!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-11-10, 18:17:42
Reply #11

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile

For me, it looks like cheap chinese aluminium. Too smooth and too bright. I would try to make it a bit rough and give it really low glossiness. But I may be wrong!

I think you have good looking, I will try to follow you, thank for your advice.