Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Grass mtl

(1/2) > >>

mav3rick:
i'm trying to make grass material any advices?
diffuse map + brighter translucency map (fraction=0.15)

here's render tests
grass-vray - 2sided from Vray, secend is corona test (on top reflection level=0, middle RL=1 IOR=1.1, bottom RL=1, IOR=1.25)

Ludvik Koutny:
IOR does not affect translucency in any way, and you should never use refraction for grass. Create new material with default settings, plug your texture map into diffuse slot and instance that same map into translucency slot. Set translucency fraction to about 0.4-0.6. Then simply tweak reflection of your material, and use reflection glossiness map for best results.

vkiuru:

--- Quote from: Rawalanche on 2014-01-06, 09:07:24 ---IOR does not affect translucency in any way, and you should never use refraction for grass. Create new material with default settings, plug your texture map into diffuse slot and instance that same map into translucency slot. Set translucency fraction to about 0.4-0.6. Then simply tweak reflection of your material, and use reflection glossiness map for best results.

--- End quote ---

I find it handy to put the instanced diffuse texture map into a color correction node so you can increase the saturation and brightness of the translucency slightly.

Ludvik Koutny:

--- Quote from: vkiuru on 2014-01-06, 09:31:27 ---
--- Quote from: Rawalanche on 2014-01-06, 09:07:24 ---IOR does not affect translucency in any way, and you should never use refraction for grass. Create new material with default settings, plug your texture map into diffuse slot and instance that same map into translucency slot. Set translucency fraction to about 0.4-0.6. Then simply tweak reflection of your material, and use reflection glossiness map for best results.

--- End quote ---

I find it handy to put the instanced diffuse texture map into a color correction node so you can increase the saturation and brightness of the translucency slightly.

--- End quote ---

True, but i did not mention it so that i do not confuse the guy further ;)

Actually, translucency texture carries both color and translucency intensity, so if you want translucency amount to vary based on map, then in color correct node, increase contrast of your translucency map, and then compensate back the saturation gained by increasing contrast. That will give you a more interesting and pronounced translucency effect. I often shift my translucency map using CC node little bit to the yellowish tones, but i would not increase saturation, as that would probably decrease realism. Back sides of leaves are sometimes less saturated than front ones, but almost never are they saturated more. If you see a picture of a nice saturated leaf from the back side, it is most of the time enhanced in something like PS, and also distorted by colored sunlight shining on it.

mav3rick:

--- End quote ---

Thx :) will try it.
reflection IOR affects reflection, it was set by color=white level=1, glossiness and IOR. in setup change reflection IOR, not refraction ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version