Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Resolved Feature Requests

Curvature Map

(1/6) > >>

karnak:
A curvature map can be used to generate procedural wear on the edges of objects.

As a reference for the workflow you can read this article by Neil Blevins and you can take a look at how the Quixel Suite 2.0 generates its masks for layering materials.

Currently you can bake the curvature into the mesh vertices or buy a plugin like GeoMaps.

Personally I don't like these solutions because:

* you have to bake the curvature for each mesh you want to apply the shader on
* baking the curvature needs a quite detailed mesh to work
* baked curvature is geometry dependent, you have to re-bake when you change the mesh
* GeoMaps is a plugin, meaning I have to hope that they will update in time when a new version of 3dsmax or Corona came out
* GeoMaps is a plugin, meaning I have to hope that the render farm supports it
* GeoMaps is a plugin, each person on the team needs to have the same version (?)

I think that it would be useful to have a dedicated curvature map in Corona.
What do you think about this request?
Anyone sharing the need for this feature?

romullus:
Already requested and declined unfortunatelly:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,6703.0.html
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,8736.0.html

karnak:
I see, this is sad. :(
Next time I will try to search more for already discussed topics.

Do you think the main reason is not to hurt boomerlabs?
With GeoMaps they are selling two products, curvature and tension, we are only talking about curvature here.
In addiction to this, their curvature has a lot o advanced features like: per frame calculation (I think we only need static), smoothing, distortion, directional influence.

I read in another discussion that the general policy is "not developing what it is already there", do you this is the reason?

romullus:

--- Quote from: karnak on 2015-12-08, 19:26:02 ---Do you think the main reason is not to hurt boomerlabs?

--- End quote ---
Don't know, but i don't think so. If Render Legion would be so affraid to hurt someone, they wouldn't release Corona in the first place. Someones profit is almost always others lost :]

--- Quote from: karnak on 2015-12-08, 19:26:02 ---I read in another discussion that the general policy is "not developing what it is already there", do you this is the reason?

--- End quote ---
As much as i'd want to see Corona's curvature and warp maps implementations, i think that this senseful decision. We need things that cannot be easily replaced first. When major features will be done, maybe then time will come for less important ones.

karnak:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2015-12-08, 19:41:25 ---Don't know, but i don't think so. If Render Legion would be so affraid to hurt someone, they wouldn't release Corona in the first place. Someones profit is almost always others lost :]
--- End quote ---
This is also my point.

--- Quote from: romullus on 2015-12-08, 19:41:25 ---As much as i'd want to see Corona's curvature and warp maps implementations, i think that this senseful decision. We need things that cannot be easily replaced first. When major features will be done, maybe then time will come for less important ones.
--- End quote ---
Absolutely. More important features must have the priority.

Having said that, I hope this feature request can enter the long term roadmap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version