Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520290 times)

2018-10-24, 12:17:05
Reply #180

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
hmmm interesting, so the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is coming off slightly better which is suprising.

Thanks for the heads up with the phanteks case, I think I will still get it as it just looks so good. What ram did you end up going for?

I cant believe its so hard to find parts for this 2990wx build, its like nobody wants my money....which is a bit mental.

2018-10-24, 19:49:38
Reply #181

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2018-10-25, 01:57:07
Reply #182

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Boy, I gotta say the big thing holding up my 2990wx build is just not knowing which motherboard to go for.  It seems like the Meg is the winner but needing a beta bios and hearing of failures doesn't exactly make me want to pull the trigger...

2018-10-25, 11:08:40
Reply #183

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Just quick note since monoblocks were referenced. Do not go this way, the EKWB (and only they make them) TR4 monoblocks still feature the original small die cover plate. So it's like buying their original (v1 and v2) poor CPU block and plus VRM block together.

Super sad to see how the MSI MEG fared. We're still on 1.25 Bios, everything stable (and boot is very fast). VRM temps are fantastic without any cooler pointing on them. But, with the cooler on them, I would go with AORUS like Peter did, not Zenith. I am not sure what is the love-story some overclockers have with Zenith ( I get the love for Asus, I used 99perc. Asus boards for years, but Zenith x399 is very mediocre board for such price).

Anyway, as long as you cool your VRM it seems any board will do. MSI will just do it easiest (as long as you get functioning unit...), with no sweat.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-25, 14:13:42
Reply #184

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals

2018-10-26, 10:41:02
Reply #185

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just quick note since monoblocks were referenced. Do not go this way, the EKWB (and only they make them) TR4 monoblocks still feature the original small die cover plate. So it's like buying their original (v1 and v2) poor CPU block and plus VRM block together.

Super sad to see how the MSI MEG fared. We're still on 1.25 Bios, everything stable (and boot is very fast). VRM temps are fantastic without any cooler pointing on them. But, with the cooler on them, I would go with AORUS like Peter did, not Zenith. I am not sure what is the love-story some overclockers have with Zenith ( I get the love for Asus, I used 99perc. Asus boards for years, but Zenith x399 is very mediocre board for such price).

Anyway, as long as you cool your VRM it seems any board will do. MSI will just do it easiest (as long as you get functioning unit...), with no sweat.

Good tip about the monoblock - thanks.
You might be very right about the Zenith.  My fun and games with motherboards continue, as I did end up ordering the zenith a few days back. Board arrives yesterday, I assemble, turn on power supply and bang - sparks and then smoke coming from the board. I'm hoping that its just a bad board, not the PSU (which I've tried in another machine and it seemed fine.)Amazon to their credit are sending me another one for tomorrow, and we'll see how that goes. My worry is that some other component was fried when the MB went pop, but hopefully, the board isolated them.
Beginning to think my Treadripper build is cursed - next time I'll order a pre-built as the amount of time and money this is costing me is getting ridiculous.

2018-10-26, 14:16:04
Reply #186

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sparks and smoke ?! Holy crap :- ). That's not good. It does sound like Motherboard rather than PSU issue though..at least to me.

When I test my builds, I first boot them to uefi with just PSU, MB, single memory DIM, and CPU without cooler on top, it survives (hot) just fine for minute or two. Only then I continue.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-10-28, 08:47:13
Reply #187

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Replacement Zenith arrived yesterday and I'm up and running again! Third time lucky. And I built it exactly like you said, one component at a time (which meant it took all day to build). I can't set it up properly yet and test as I've got to go away but the temps are looking really good at the moment (CPU temp is better than ever, but that's probably down to better TIM placement on the CPU this time than anything board related). When I get back I'll get the memory speed set up correctly and set up PBO and give it some proper stress tests and see how good the temps really are. But I've never been so pleased to see a BIOS screen as I was yesterday :-)

2018-10-28, 13:30:07
Reply #188

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Good to hear that :- ) Crossing my fingers for smooth finish in setup

2018-10-28, 21:08:34
Reply #189

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Me too!!

2018-10-28, 23:45:11
Reply #190

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Replacement Zenith arrived yesterday and I'm up and running again! Third time lucky. And I built it exactly like you said, one component at a time (which meant it took all day to build). I can't set it up properly yet and test as I've got to go away but the temps are looking really good at the moment (CPU temp is better than ever, but that's probably down to better TIM placement on the CPU this time than anything board related). When I get back I'll get the memory speed set up correctly and set up PBO and give it some proper stress tests and see how good the temps really are. But I've never been so pleased to see a BIOS screen as I was yesterday :-)

Whats your temps ? Originally i wanted to purchase Zenith but after some proper research i went with Aorus so im curious what numbers you are getting.
Im using stock clock + NHU14s with one fan since two fans actually did nothing because of single heatsink design. CPU tends to sit at 55-58C even after several hours of rendering so im fine with it considering its on air.
Coronaut!(c)2011

2018-11-03, 14:38:08
Reply #191

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
I have just finished my build and thought I would put up results for an aircooler to compare.

I'm using the Thermalright silver arrow TR4 but with a added fan. The fan is seriously loud at 100% so I got the 2nd one and im running them both at 60% full load. The machine is silent during normal work and when rendering it's an ok level.
Ram is flare X 2993 cl14 (cant seem to clock it higher and get it stable)
MSI meg creation

idle temp sits between 38-40 c
loaded rendering 67 c
PPT (cpu) 75% of 500w full load

Corona bench 3.7ghz all cores- 38sec

Cinebench 5884- all cores 3.85mhz
single- 163

Vray bench - 24 sec

I let corona render a scene for 15 hours with no crashes so everything is stable. Overall really happy with the purchase and the speed, my old machine was a 4930k though so anythings an improvement tbf!

2018-11-03, 23:08:41
Reply #192

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
I was playing with my system a bit. I dont want to OC it since its my 24/7 machine for everything /i have xeon renderfarm for long tasks/.

So i decided to undervolt my 2990wx and im on stable -0.125mv. Cinebench gives me 5122 points so there is no power loss. Aida64 hits 52-54C /56C peak/, Corona never pushes over 52C and volatage is fluctating from 0.98x to 1.08xV.

Im using only 2 fans atm - 1x NHU14 and 1x case fan. I can barely hear my PC now even at full load. Im so damn impressed. I think there is still some room to go even lower.

loaded rendering 67 c

Keep eye on the temps, it will start to power throttle at 67,8C. During summer definitely.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-03, 23:18:48 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

2018-11-05, 20:00:38
Reply #193

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Whats your temps ? Originally i wanted to purchase Zenith but after some proper research i went with Aorus so im curious what numbers you are getting.
Im using stock clock + NHU14s with one fan since two fans actually did nothing because of single heatsink design. CPU tends to sit at 55-58C even after several hours of rendering so im fine with it considering its on air.

Did some set up and testing over the last few days since the replacement board arrived. Current set up is the Zenith, 64gb Corsair Vengence Pro (had to downclock it a bit to 2866 as it wasn't stable), running PBO with Performance Enhancement set to Level 2 in the Bios (could have gone to lvl 3 but for now I didn't want to push it too far for now). Using a custom loop from an EK water block, 360mm rad with 3 EK Varda fans, 3 case fans (1 Noctua, 2 Phantexs that came with the case).
Temps are around 30 c at idle. Under load, cpu is at 67c, vrm at 68c. Fans are audible but not too bad at all.
Could probably spend some more time upping the power,  re-tweaking the cooling and overclocking the ram. But the performance is still great (I too have come from a 4930k, so this is definitely a big step up) and with the problems I've had over the last few weeks with the MSI board and its replacement I just need a functioning, stable machine, so I'll stay out of the BIOS for a while.

2018-11-05, 21:31:33
Reply #194

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Running PBO, temperature wise is probably the worst option. It overvolts the CPU so so much.  Seeing 1.4-1.5v !!! on some cores it`s not rare.  For illustration i can run 3.8GHz on all cores at 1.15v  and get better temps then default PBO.
At 1.1-1.15v for all cores,the total CPU power consumption is around 275W, will get you 5850Cinebench.
Runing PBO will get you up to 300W, and get around 5200-5300 Cinebench.

So if we are talking purely about rendering performance, or 24/7 render loads, Manual OC is the way to go.

If you struggle with single tread performance or use poorly threaded applications,then PBO can help, but not much. Because, how much can you gain,going from 3.8 to 4.0-4.1 on those couple of cores that can take it..

btw, spent about a month bencharking 2990wx on Linux(ubuntu and mint) and it`s just ridiculous how much faster it is on Linux compared to Windows, some application, like Houdini, up to  30% on simulations(pyro/grains/).
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net