Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520442 times)

2018-11-06, 01:24:24
Reply #195

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cheers for the heads up there - having said I would just leave the system as is for now, I was straight back into the BIOS.

Now running a manual OC at 3.8 all cores at 1.15v, and like you getting around 5750-5850 on Cinebench. Will now do some more through stress testing to check stability.

2018-11-06, 01:48:17
Reply #196

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Great, let us know how it went. For me 3.8 at 1.1v rendering for hours was working fine, no crashes. But i was getting crashes in houdini simulations, so i bumped it a bit to 1.15 and running smooth now. I guess this really is silicon lottery territory, you might get lucky and run lower then me, or not :)
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2018-11-06, 11:16:53
Reply #197

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I see undervolting is all the fashion :- ). I am not the biggest fan, and neither of manual OC. PBO might take voltage higher but it also preserves your single core turbo. I would much rather have 4.2 Single core than better voltage on all-core and be limited to <3.8.

Of course, it heavily depends on your cooling and motherboard. For Air cooling, it's definitely good thing and seeing how good temperatures you can get this way with Noctua makes me happy. But if you already spent money on custom loop, go PBO.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-08, 11:27:06
Reply #198

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great, let us know how it went. For me 3.8 at 1.1v rendering for hours was working fine, no crashes. But i was getting crashes in houdini simulations, so i bumped it a bit to 1.15 and running smooth now. I guess this really is silicon lottery territory, you might get lucky and run lower then me, or not :)

Well, I stressed tested it an all was well. Shut it down and the in the morning it wouldn't post :(. Flashed the bios and it booted fine (and has done ever since) and have just left it at stock for now. Just going to leave it be for now, actually use the machine for work and then think about what to do next. Even at stock its an awesome system and a big performance boost for me, but I'll probably look into either PBO or manual OC in a few weeks.

2018-11-08, 13:13:20
Reply #199

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The pesky windows 10 update that secretly bundles up micro-code ( KB4100347 ) keeps on installing and somehow downregulating turbo speed (only noticeable in single-core). Without any change to voltage or power, from 4.1Ghz to 3.7Ghz. That is 10perc. single-core performance I do not like being gone. Finally blocked that update from re-installing. Instantly fixed.

I didn't do so previously because I've heard some following update had fixed this behavior but apparently that isn't such case. Also hoped bios update would fix this in meantime. Didn't happen either...MSI.

I am still super-baffled by this. It's Spectre patch, it shouldn't do much to AMD system yet it does ! I hope it doesn't come secretly bundled with another big update next season.

If in some case some you have trouble with turbos, check if KB4100347 isn't installed (as long as you have v1803 edition build).

In other news, for MEG owners, there is another private beta bios, comes with updated AGESA and some users reports stable memory clocks up to 3166 Mhz (with 8x8 sticks though, haven't seen any 4x16/8x16 confirm) so memory compatibility and stableness is improved. I did not try it myself yet.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-08, 13:26:16 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-11-09, 22:45:47
Reply #200

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The pesky windows 10 update that secretly bundles up micro-code ( KB4100347 ) keeps on installing and somehow downregulating turbo speed (only noticeable in single-core). Without any change to voltage or power, from 4.1Ghz to 3.7Ghz. That is 10perc. single-core performance I do not like being gone. Finally blocked that update from re-installing. Instantly fixed.

I didn't do so previously because I've heard some following update had fixed this behavior but apparently that isn't such case. Also hoped bios update would fix this in meantime. Didn't happen either...MSI.

I am still super-baffled by this. It's Spectre patch, it shouldn't do much to AMD system yet it does ! I hope it doesn't come secretly bundled with another big update next season.

If in some case some you have trouble with turbos, check if KB4100347 isn't installed (as long as you have v1803 edition build).

In other news, for MEG owners, there is another private beta bios, comes with updated AGESA and some users reports stable memory clocks up to 3166 Mhz (with 8x8 sticks though, haven't seen any 4x16/8x16 confirm) so memory compatibility and stableness is improved. I did not try it myself yet.

If someone can post like an 'ideal' config for a system with this cpu ill put it in the first post. This has gone way deeper than i can follow now haha.
Im looking at upgrading at work and it would certainly help to have some idea of what components work well together.

2018-11-10, 20:25:14
Reply #201

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
[quote author=Juraj Talcik link=topic=21416.msg137474#msg137474 date=1541679200

[/quote]

Are other 2990wx MBs stable which >2933Mhz memory ?

2018-11-11, 14:34:00
Reply #202

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No, it has mostly to do with the chipset, not much the MB manufacturers can do about. You might be able to get it stable higher with smaller amount (and smaller capacity) sticks, but that isn't very rational choice for 2990WX.

MEG is still the best board to get performance wise, while feature set is richer (4x dual-slot PCI-e slots & 10gbe nic on board) on Aorus Xtreme.

We can wait and see what the x499 will bring on to the table.

2018-11-13, 14:16:01
Reply #203

cedrus deodara

Recently bought 2990wx system:

f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx(optimized for AMD)
aorus xtreme x399
seasonic 1300w
samsung 970 pro 512gb
NZXT kraken 72x(67 degrees on full load stock frequency) 5050 Cinebench and about 40seconds corona benchmark(basically everything as expected)

But....

Everything in the start seemed vanilla good until I started experiencing lags and constant freezing on heavy scenes 40gb or more when loaded into Ram. Gets very annoying after some time. And "smoothness" is even worse than on my previous systems like 5960x and Ryzen 1800X. I am fully aware that Max utilises only single core during tasks like ui, saving, opening file etc. but isn't main problem NUMA architecture itself that isn't yet fully optimized on windows 10?

2018-11-13, 16:16:03
Reply #204

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Recently bought 2990wx system:

f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx(optimized for AMD)
aorus xtreme x399
seasonic 1300w
samsung 970 pro 512gb
NZXT kraken 72x(67 degrees on full load stock frequency) 5050 Cinebench and about 40seconds corona benchmark(basically everything as expected)

But....

Everything in the start seemed vanilla good until I started experiencing lags and constant freezing on heavy scenes 40gb or more when loaded into Ram. Gets very annoying after some time. And "smoothness" is even worse than on my previous systems like 5960x and Ryzen 1800X. I am fully aware that Max utilises only single core during tasks like ui, saving, opening file etc. but isn't main problem NUMA architecture itself that isn't yet fully optimized on windows 10?

perhaps not related but the memory you listed (f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx) doesnt appear on the motherboard QVL http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-xtreme_2nd.pdf
« Last Edit: 2018-11-13, 16:24:06 by PsychoBoyJack »

2018-11-13, 16:32:23
Reply #205

cedrus deodara

prolly not related but the memory you listed (f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx) doesnt appear on the motherboard QVL http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-xtreme_2nd.pdf

actually g.skill website says aorus xtreme motherboard is on QVL https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx
Maybe list from gigabyte isn't up to date.

2018-11-13, 16:39:16
Reply #206

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
prolly not related but the memory you listed (f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx) doesnt appear on the motherboard QVL http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-xtreme_2nd.pdf

actually g.skill website says aorus xtreme motherboard is on QVL https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx
Maybe list from gigabyte isn't up to date.
yah this is strange.
i found another qvl for this card where the memory f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx appears.
http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-xtreme.pdf

i don't know which pdf is the most recent tho. the one where your ram doesnt appear has the mention "2nd" at the end of its name.

edit: from this page http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Memory/  it seems the one which doesnt contain your ram is the most recent
edit 2 : http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-xtreme_2990WX.pdf   this seems to be the good pdf to look at (doesnt contain f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx)
« Last Edit: 2018-11-13, 16:52:47 by PsychoBoyJack »

2018-11-13, 17:17:14
Reply #207

cedrus deodara

yah this is strange.
i found another qvl for this card where the memory f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx appears.
http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-xtreme.pdf

i don't know which pdf is the most recent tho. the one where your ram doesnt appear has the mention "2nd" at the end of its name.

edit: from this page http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Memory/  it seems the one which doesnt contain your ram is the most recent
edit 2 : http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-xtreme_2990WX.pdf   this seems to be the good pdf to look at (doesnt contain f4-2933c14q2-128gtzrx)

Makes me think because Xmp for 2933 appears to be working stable also there are no indications apart from absence in gigabytes listings that ram shouldn't do.
Off course before buying i checked qvl's there and there, and wasn't concerned this memory would create any performance drops(and doubting it is to be blamed) as it is advertised as high performance memory for x399 platforms.
Also reading from this thread psanitra has same memory in his build without any complains.

2018-11-13, 17:29:54
Reply #208

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Makes me think because Xmp for 2933 appears to be working stable also there are no indications apart from absence in gigabytes listings that ram shouldn't do.
Off course before buying i checked qvl's there and there, and wasn't concerned this memory would create any performance drops(and doubting it is to be blamed) as it is advertised as high performance memory for x399 platforms.
Also reading from this thread psanitra has same memory in his build without any complains.

Yes perhaps memory is not to be blamed. Just noticed this little strangeness. I am currently trying to build a 2990wx system and stumbled on the same incoherence where the gskill qvl listed my board but the board qvl was not listing the ram.
I think now I'll try to respect the board qvl  instead of the memory one. We never know.

good luck finding whats slowing you down. keep the thread updated :) if you can

« Last Edit: 2018-11-13, 17:36:13 by PsychoBoyJack »

2018-11-13, 17:47:08
Reply #209

cedrus deodara

yes perhaps memory is not to be blamed. just noticed this little strangeness. i am currently trying to build a 2990wx system and stumbled on the same incoherence where the gskill qvl listed my board but the board qvl was not listing the ram.
i think now ill try to respect at board qvl  instead of the memory one. we never know.

good luck finding whats slowing you down. keep the thread updated :) if you can
will continue on testing and looking for solution
Thanks for your input and good luck finding right parts for your build.