Author Topic: lightmix  (Read 1050 times)

2024-01-10, 09:04:33

koubankeo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a problem with lightmix. I'm attaching a simple scene. There are 3 lights in the scene. Light material has not enabled emit light. I use this setting very often in the scene( background plane, bulb body etc)

The problem is that all light materials in the scene that have emit light disabled fall into the rest(unassigned) category in lightmix

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

2024-01-10, 13:29:52
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi, this is not a bug but expected behavior. Are you not able to work with the ''Rest'' option? If you feel it should be change you can always submit a feature request :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-01-10, 14:09:42
Reply #2

koubankeo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well that's a problem, because if I want to create a day scene and a night scene at the same time, the day scene will have a different background than the night scene. And lightmix is supposed to be exactly for these situations right?

2024-01-10, 17:34:32
Reply #3

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just add the lights/light materials to one lightmix layer, then rest is only BG

2024-01-11, 14:20:35
Reply #4

MircoTosti Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Stephen,
I don't think that's what he means.
If you want to use two (or more) HDR to illuminate the scene (ex. one during the day and one at night) I don't think your method is correct because it's not about BG but about direct and indirect lighting as well as the reflections and refractions that depend on and are linked to the HDR used .
Personally I noticed for example that if you want to use a nighttime and a daytime HDR via the light mix, playing on the lightmix by turning on only one the result obtained is not correct.

I think what he is asking is to implement in c4d the function that has already been present for two years in 3dsmax, i.e. "Multiple Environment Maps"
« Last Edit: 2024-01-11, 14:28:14 by MircoTosti Studio »

2024-01-11, 19:43:35
Reply #5

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hm, maybe i not undertand what he wants. but i use it that way for more than one hdri.

overall  i use it the way that the "rest" really is only the "leftovers" withut any light in it, so all light and light materials have their own layer, then the "rest layer" has nothing but an BG maybe, and every thing is tunable in seperate layers.

that said i not use envrionments only dome lights(sky)

2024-01-11, 19:53:44
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If I understand right, the issue is not multiple HDRIs which should indeed work fine. The user is commenting on backplates and similar, using a LightMtl with Emit Light off, and that all of these group under the "Rest" LightSelect. This means they can't use LightMix to enable or disable particular backplates since they are all grouped under the one Select. The original poster can correct me if I am wrong :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-01-12, 10:19:02
Reply #7

MircoTosti Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If I understand right, the issue is not multiple HDRIs which should indeed work fine. The user is commenting on backplates and similar, using a LightMtl with Emit Light off, and that all of these group under the "Rest" LightSelect. This means they can't use LightMix to enable or disable particular backplates since they are all grouped under the one Select. The original poster can correct me if I am wrong :)

in post #2 koubankeo talks about daytime scene and nighttime scene with different backgrounds.
This in 3dsmax can be done via the "Multiple Environment Maps" tab also using 100 hdr both to illuminate the scene correctly and as a background (it works which simplifies everyone's life a lot) and it is something that has been missing in c4d for more than a year (perhaps even present in max for the longest time if I'm not mistaken).

2024-01-15, 08:56:21
Reply #8

koubankeo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Exactly as you write, Tom.

The lightmix in c4d is short on this and yet it's such a basic thing. I don't know how it is in 3ds max, unfortunately I think it would work there.

2024-01-15, 19:12:52
Reply #9

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting. So the idea was to use a light material set to zero for a non-light emitting back plate so it will appear in the Lightmix. My question is how would that even work? As far as I know, the light mix can't show or hide objects right? Are there two planes with two light materials? Not sure how that would work.

Do these back plates provide any input in the scene, as in reflections or seen through refraction? If they don't, seems like a render with an alpha and add the back plate of your choice in Photoshop are AE in my head.