Author Topic: Kelvin temperatures are not realistic?  (Read 533 times)

2024-03-27, 22:33:53

shakedalon

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys how are you?
While I'm planning the Interior lighting in my project - I find out that the kelvin temperatures are not realistic...
3000K looks wayyyy too orange. I disabeled the tone mapping, but it still not looks like a 3000k lighting...
For getting the realistic effect of 3000k I use 4300-5000 in corona light.
What am I missing here?

Thanks !

2024-03-28, 07:41:32
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I agree.

I'm sure I've seen this topic discussed somewhere, and don't remember the answer, but I reckon the dev's will justify it with some complex reasoning.

But yes, it's definitely wayyyy too warm.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2024-03-28, 08:34:43
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Did you try photographing night-time interior at fixed 6500K WB with Lightbulbs in 1800-3000K range? (Although cameras and afterwards raw interpreters will afterwards disagree on how to write that temperature, Adobe being biggest offender).
I think lot of people underappreciate how warm such light is because of how effective our eyesight/brain is at balancing colors and interior daylight is mostly colder through out day.

With that said, architectural photographers have been swapping to 5000K white-bulbs during photoshoots for many years :- ). It works better for photography and rendering is the same.

I am always shocked by the opposite, how "blue-ish" 5000K light-bulb feels, even though it's still on warm-scale. But 5000K bulbs are the ones called daylight or pure-white to keep in mind.
Perceptiveness plays a very big role.

The big discussion with devs many years ago had more to do with tint, the 6500K in Corona didn't feel like absolute white in some tests and there some odd explanation of 6502K or something happened if I remember correctly. I didn't understand the explanation.

But it's not like white-balance works great in photography either, the color matrix translation that raw interpreters like ACR do (i.e converting 6500 into 5600 + Random Tint) is still confusing to me many years after I started photography.

Tonemapping plays great role. ACES OT or similar is necessary for taming saturation of highlights and perceiving colors correctly. Without it, you're looking at nonsense that can't be compared to what you're seeing with your own eyes or camera.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!