Author Topic: 2990WX - Still low utilisation after extensive research - please help! 😩  (Read 5001 times)

2020-10-07, 14:33:08

wecaptivate

• Users
    • View Profile
I'm very aware this is a common topic but please bear with me - I have done lots of investigation of my own before getting to this point!

I recently discovered that my 2990WX runs at about 50% utilisation on what I would assume would be a full load - no idea how long it's been like that for. It hits around 100% for the first few seconds and then tails away - sometimes quickly, sometimes it hangs around near the top for a few seconds. I've attached a utilisation graph and a Corona Benchmark which is comfortably over twice as long as the faster results on the same processor. I know there are lots of other factors almost 2.5x slower is crazy.

I've updated my BIOS, all my system drivers and Windows 10 to the very latest versions. I've tried the registry edit and Coreprio but neither with any improvement.

I'm using AI Suite to try to get the most out of the machine - is there anything in there that could be causing it? I feel like I've tried every conceivable configuration. Failing that, is there anything in the BIOS itself I should be looking for?

Any guidance or suggestion for what to try next would be much appreciated!

2020-10-07, 16:36:38
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It hits around 100% for the first few seconds and then tails away - sometimes quickly, sometimes it hangs around near the top for a few seconds.

Two questions:
1. What is your RAM frequency?
2. Wat are you CPU temperatures during rendering?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-10-07, 17:29:24
Reply #2

wecaptivate

• Users
    • View Profile
Two questions:

So I just ran the test again with the Corona Benchmark tool, monitoring with AI Suite. Temp hit 68C and stayed there as the clock speed dropped, albeit more slowly this time, shaving about 20 seconds off the time. Clock speed in Corona registered at 2.9GHz.

My RAM is 3200 but I just looked in BIOS and it shows 2133 - not sure if that's normal? If i try manually overriding to 3200 it gets stuck in a loop when booting and restarting itself. Eventually I managed to get a POST screen and get back in to BIOS to set it back.

🤯

2020-10-07, 23:42:52
Reply #3

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Two questions:

So I just ran the test again with the Corona Benchmark tool, monitoring with AI Suite. Temp hit 68C and stayed there as the clock speed dropped, albeit more slowly this time, shaving about 20 seconds off the time. Clock speed in Corona registered at 2.9GHz.

My RAM is 3200 but I just looked in BIOS and it shows 2133 - not sure if that's normal? If i try manually overriding to 3200 it gets stuck in a loop when booting and restarting itself. Eventually I managed to get a POST screen and get back in to BIOS to set it back.

🤯

You'll be hard pressed to get your RAM over 2933mhz with that CPU, at least not with major subtiming tweaking. I would also monitor your motherboard VRM temperatures, it's definitely a known cause of massive slowdowns (the motherboard will throttle the CPU speed to avoid melting itself).
Vray who?

2020-10-08, 16:59:21
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So the temperatures and RAM speed seem fine, right?
We have an identical case at our helpdesk right now. I will be sure to share the findings if we find the culprit.
You can also submit at new ticket here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-10-08, 17:18:15
Reply #5

wecaptivate

• Users
    • View Profile
So the temperatures and RAM speed seem fine, right?
We have an identical case at our helpdesk right now. I will be sure to share the findings if we find the culprit.
You can also submit at new ticket here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

Exactly. I just did another speed test and looked at the temps in AI Suite:

CPU: 67C (Threshold 85C)
Motherboard 33C (Threshold 60C)
VRM 44C (Threshold 110C)

My RAM speed is currently showing 2133 in BIOS so it's certainly not at full speed, but would that be likely to cause CPU throttling?

2020-10-09, 13:30:07
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes it's one of the major culprits, although there might be more.

3200 will not be stable on 2990WX, 2933 is highest stable for "high-end" memory kits. With regular memory kits, 2800 was fastest I could run on my 2990WX and that was on the best boards ( MSI MEG and ASUS Zenith Alpha).

There are three ways to set your memory to 2933:

1) Enable XMP profile (3200) and then manually lower to 2933 in advanced memory settings. Everything else from XMP will stay as is.
2) Set preset 2933 profile in bios, not sure which brands have it and which don't. If it's not in basic (EZ mode in Asus uefi) section, it's in advanced memory settings.
3) Set everything manually. For most part, this is just frequency (2933), Primary timing (CL16) and voltage (1.35V), the bios will set the rest if left on auto. Or you can do everything manually if you feel like wasting lot more time.

I had 3 different 2990WX systems (one on MSI MEG, two on Asus Zenith Alphas) and while I had plenty of issues setting up stable memory (when I bought 2990WX memory was expensive so I bought regular mid-tier kits) there was no other issue and nothing specific needed to be set in bios at all.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-04-19, 15:47:17
Reply #7

emilio20

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi! Have you solved this issue? We might have experience the same issue on 2990wx. I solved mine by reseating the RAM. There's proper way to plug those memory. Check you motherboard manual.