Author Topic: OpenEXR in Camera Raw Filter PS  (Read 9219 times)

2016-09-18, 15:23:43

Stroncium

• Users
    • View Profile
In this week I had discovered for myself capacity of OpenEXR from Corona Renderer. It is very useful feature!
OpenEXR file behaves in Camera Raw Filter (Adobe Camera Raw) as RAW file from digital camera, but it have superior dynamic range. ACR's tools can to extend it and eliminate overexposure and underexposure areas simultaneously.
May be anyone don't know this :)
You may to download images of my work as examples and compare them - Tiff 16bit and OpenEXR 32bit for post processing only.

Update: I mean "Corona EXR" format. It is OpenEXR file obtained from Corona Virtual Frame Buffer - "Save" - "Dump EXR".
« Last Edit: 2016-09-18, 18:22:30 by Stroncium »

2016-09-18, 23:31:31
Reply #1

Adi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's definitely useful , but I'm pretty sure a lot of people here are already familiar with it :)
I almost never use it , for me it's easier to export several jpg images with different exposure from frame buffer and then blend them if necessary :)

Also , if you use Photoshop's Camera Raw Filter, image automatically gets brighter (in 32bit mode). I'm not sure if that's a bug.

Of course, thanks for sharing your tip!

2016-09-18, 23:51:36
Reply #2

Goran Gajic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanx for sharing information. I opened exr and tested little. I didnt understand what is "ACR's tools". I played with your nice image, here is result. Hope you can explain more about exr for dummies like me :-)

2016-09-19, 09:53:28
Reply #3

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
But how is possible to save in such format via Backburner process? O.o
And then, why not use the native OpenExr format? Which are the differences at the end? The native OpenEXR can be opened by ACR tools as well in PS.

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2016-09-19, 09:58:06
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
it will be possible in 1.5 - although there is no difference in saving 3dsmax standard exr and coroan EXR dump when you are interested in just the beauty channel, not denoising or resuming the render
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-09-19, 09:59:26
Reply #5

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Exactly, this is what I knew from the begining! :)

Thanks Ondra.

Dionysios -

2016-09-19, 10:51:49
Reply #6

grafichissimo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • METROVISUAL
Hello mate, could you tell me exactly how do you open the EXR in max??
I am not that clever!
Cheers!
Davide Chicco - www.metrovisual.co.uk