Author Topic: How to use a video file as texture?  (Read 4573 times)

2019-09-16, 17:49:15

Flopi79

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
how can I load a video file as a texture. I tried to load a mov file….
But under the texture file windows appears a not: could not load texture file…….. Unrecognized image file format for….

What format can I use? special settings?

Cheer Florian

2019-09-16, 18:05:19
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Max or  C4D? Which version of Corona? What are you loading the texture file into, a native bitmap, Corona bitmap, something else? General note, video depends on whether the host software has the codec to decompress it, and so the safest way to ensure compatibility is to use image sequences rather than videos. (So I guess also, what is the codec used in the video?)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-09-16, 18:20:31
Reply #2

Flopi79

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry just forgot to write my 3D program.
I use 3Ds Max.

But right know I found the mistake.
I used a Corona material with a Corona bitmap.
Know I tried the normal bitmap from max and it’s working with the mov file.
So problem is solved! :-)

2019-09-16, 20:57:12
Reply #3

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
Can I tack on a follow up question?

Will the frame rate of the video sync up to the frame rate of the scene? For instance, if the video is 1 second long and 30 fps, would you have to have at least 30 frames in order to cycle though the entire video?

2019-09-17, 08:07:41
Reply #4

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There's a special codec made by someone, which alows max to playback the video in real time: as a texture, as a viewport background and so on.

2019-09-17, 14:17:32
Reply #5

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just use a png or jpg sequence. Works every time and is smoother in playback

2020-03-16, 00:48:09
Reply #6

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, just wanted to comment that I had a problem loading a video-file and/or jpg-sequence.
I was losing my mind with this and I was thinking that I have done this thing before but how on earth did I handle this before.
So the answer was: dont use CoronaBitmap - use normal Bitmap instead.
Problem solved.

2020-03-16, 16:52:22
Reply #7

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Last time I used a video file for a texture I remember i could only use a mov or an avi, mp4's didnt work. Then I used max's bitmap rather than corona.

2020-03-20, 09:03:55
Reply #8

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mp4 normally doesn't work and it is hard to find a non-problematic avi-codec that works for 3dsmax. Start frames get mixed up and you can't sync video. It is best to use sequence files via a text file created from bitmap selection dialog. When you select the first frame of a sequence of frames and check Sequence in that dialog, 3DSMax creates a text file with IFL extension that contains your file names in an order. That's the native method.
There is also a FFMPeg plugin for 3DSMax created by a Chinese guy, which worked brilliantly, But the last version I have the plugin is for 3DSMax 2018. No new versions as of my last search. MP4 Import is a real need for a 3D artist.