Author Topic: Corona Renderer v.3 - How to impove the quality of reflections  (Read 1700 times)

2019-08-26, 09:46:49

samatmaxcall

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello everybody! The question is - how to improve reflections quality, edges of objects in reflections look broken, not smooth. I make designs to be printed in huge resolutions. So its easily can be noticed. Anyone any ideas?

2019-08-26, 10:11:20
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You need to subdivide geometry into smaller triangles. If it's subdivisional model, then simply add more turbosmooth iterations, but if it's game model, then you might be in trouble. You can try HSDS modifier - sometimes it helps in such situation.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-26, 10:25:36
Reply #2

samatmaxcall

• Users
    • View Profile
Seems like it is not a matter of geometry, since I did tried many ways to smooth the geomerty and there is no difference at all, I will render a pic with different geometry subdivs and attach it here.

2019-08-26, 10:34:30
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Also attach wireframe. From my experience, broken reflections always comes from not sufficiently subdivided geometry.

Edit: it's worth to note, that this is not specificly Corona's problem - all the renderers does this, even game engines.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-26, 12:11:38
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This looks like CAD data... if it is the only thing you can do it to increase the tessellation if it's a Body Object in Max (or when importing from CAD formats). If it came tessellated you won't have much luck with using subdivision in Max as these will not work well on triangles.

But as Romullus already said, this is not related to Corona, it's the low mesh resolution that makes reflections look that way.

2019-08-26, 13:28:36
Reply #5

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think in a real photo the reflections would not be quite as sharp and fine.