Author Topic: bottle of water  (Read 4859 times)

2019-06-17, 10:47:52

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Having a hard time getting a good read on glass and water materials, looking for any advice the forum can offer. Reference and test render attached.
*ground texture not to scale

EDIT: 'test2' attached

test.png =test render
DRC01087.JPG = photo reference
test2.png = test render
« Last Edit: 2019-06-20, 09:45:23 by cjwidd »

2019-06-17, 22:07:33
Reply #1

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Basically I am tinting the glass slight green and the water slight blue, but the problem seems to be in the glossiness of the glass surface and the glossiness of the water.

Decreasing the refraction glossiness of the water too much creates a gel-like appearance in terms of reflectivity, making the solution appear more solid than it should.

It would be nice to emulate the condensation that is blurring the surface of the glass, but I have yet to find a solution. Perhaps a glass map will do the trick?

I experimented with the velvet shader to imitate the effect, but to no avail.

2019-06-19, 19:39:46
Reply #2

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I spent some time researching techniques for rendering liquid / glass interface and it seems to be something that is avoided. There are plenty of pristine product renders of perfume, whiskey, vodka, etc. but few with actual surface detail, almost none with water, and I did not find any with soft condensation - not water droplets.

2019-06-19, 21:02:44
Reply #3

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com

2019-06-19, 21:25:23
Reply #4

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I can probably show a breakdown of the shader graph. Note: I am following the guidelines for liquid / glass rendering per Corona recommendations

see attached 'breakdown_tex' for texture assignment
see attached 'breakdown' for node details

2019-06-19, 22:30:15
Reply #5

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
updated render
« Last Edit: 2019-06-20, 11:37:22 by cjwidd »

2019-06-20, 09:36:02
Reply #6

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's a massive improvement. For example between the first render test.png and test2.png which looks almost like the photo reference.

2019-06-20, 09:52:13
Reply #7

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I am glad you liked the test renders, although I felt that they fell short of the photo reference (DRC01087.JPG). That being said, I do agree 'test2.png' is a more faithful representation than 'test.png'.

2019-06-20, 11:00:00
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Is there any reason why you're adding fallof on top of the fresnell in reflectiona and refraction?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-20, 11:29:34
Reply #9

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
It helped punch the dark tones to define edges (boundaries) of the volume for both the water and glass bottle

2019-06-20, 11:49:33
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thing is, that now you're getting physically incorrect reflections and refractions. That might explain why you're struggling to recreate photo reference.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-20, 12:03:26
Reply #11

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I have to say, I have dialed in just about every reasonable permutation of parameters to try and emulate the surface depicted in the reference image, it is just very complex.

Ignoring the fact that the texture set I created is not an accurate description of the reference in the first place, there are a number of factors that complicate the matter further. Primarily the fact that any bump or gloss offset will dramatically alter the translucency, creating something that looks more gel-like  than glass.

I am willing to acknowledge that the render does not portray a physically accurate surface, but I would contend that it is at least lifelike in some respects.

2019-06-20, 12:15:05
Reply #12

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i think if you want soft condensation without droplet you also do not need it in bump slot as small details in bump gives more glossy look in reflection what may interfere to glossy map.
sharing scene will give to users for experiments ;)

2019-06-20, 17:36:43
Reply #13

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It might be that the model itself needs adjustment rather than the material at this point. What does a cross section of your model look like?

2019-06-20, 18:26:25
Reply #14

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Unfortunately I cannot share the project files at this time, but I have attached a cross-section of the model to offer some insight.