Author Topic: best laptop for Corona  (Read 6282 times)

2019-06-04, 21:15:07

reb13

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I am planning to buy a laptop for my personal work (aside from the desktop at the office), I would like please to know your opinion on the MSI P75 with the following specs:

MSI P75 Creator 9SF 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9880H up to 4.8GHz Processor, 16MB Cache, 8x Cores, 16x Threads / 32GB DDR4 RAM / 2TB Ultra-Fast SSD / 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 Anti-Glare IPS-Level Thin Bezel Display / NVIDIA 20 Series GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6

It is the best I found and that I can afford. I am relatively new to corona but there is no doubt in my mind that this is the one to master. I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

2019-06-05, 16:10:20
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What is your budged? That would probably help.
Remember that with Corona you need:
- As fast CPU as possible, with as many cores as possible
- As much RAM as possible
So for example an RTX GPU or 2 TB SSD are not a must. You can probably save some money by using a slightly worse GPU (which will not be used that much anyway) and get a better CPU (if it exists :) ).
Also you probably pay for 17" and you could probably get away with 15". You will probably connect an external monitor anyway for comfortable work. If you are not planning an external monitor, I would actually suggest higher resolution than Full HD.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-06-05, 16:40:48
Reply #2

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would actually suggest higher resolution than Full HD.

I see lots of people choosing higher resolutions for screens.
What's the purpose or benefit of a higher resolution ? Especially a resolution like 4k, which I think it's 4 times as much pixels than full hd.
I think it would be a good recommendation for lots of text viewing, web browsing and pictures viewing. I think there would be no penalty for those activities. 

But in 3d work the drawbacks would be having the interactive render much slower, and probably making the nitrous viewport also slower to draw with high poly or lots of objects. So ok, those would be drawbacks, but what would be the benefits ? Is the reduced aliasing in viewport and perceived sharpness that much better that it's worth to suffer a slower workflow ?

2019-06-06, 12:06:26
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Imagine working in 640x480 resolution and in 1920x1080. It's basically larger workspace. Icons take less space. It just feels more comfortable.
But good point about resolution vs performance. With higher resolution you probably need a better GPU.

Also, in Corona 4 we have this "image upscaling factor" setting in System settings, which basically renders IR in lower resolution and then upscales it. Useful for HI-DPI displays. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us