Author Topic: Corona VFB Color Profile  (Read 1513 times)

2022-05-01, 20:19:54

Olivernov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have noticed some color differences when you save, from the VBF, to JPG / TIF or EXR and open them in Photoshop.
Since the images saved from the VFB are not tagged with any color profile, I have tried to assign a sRGB color profile. I have also tried AdobeRGB. AdobeRGB gives a little less difference with the VFB.
But still, you feel that's not the same color rendering.

My question is, what color profile is used when the images are saved from the VFB ?

Would be good to know. It would be good to have the choice, sRGB, AdobeRGB or something else.. when saving the images.

Thank you!
Oliver

2022-05-01, 23:24:37
Reply #1

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you set your photoshop color settings to 'preserve embedded profiles' you wont have this issue.

« Last Edit: 2022-05-01, 23:35:18 by James Vella »

2022-05-02, 10:57:31
Reply #2

Olivernov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi James,

Thank you.

But what is the profile embedded in every images saved from the VFB ? sRGB, AdobeRGB ? or something else ?

I have also my photoshop setup this way but I have checked all the options for the "profile Mismatches" and "Missings profiles", otherwise it is a big mess.

Tell me if I understand right, color profile is a bit like units attached to a CAD file.
If you import a CAD drawing without any unit in Max, it is a mess. Same with color profile in Photoshop. Right ?

Try it, if you open a rendering in Corona Image Editor and compare it to what you see in Photoshop, it is not exactly the same. Specially in the Red's..

Thank you !

2022-05-02, 11:28:36
Reply #3

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But what is the profile embedded in every images saved from the VFB ? sRGB, AdobeRGB ? or something else ?
Depends on the file format I suppose, I use exr so its linear.

I have also my photoshop setup this way but I have checked all the options for the "profile Mismatches" and "Missings profiles", otherwise it is a big mess.
I dont get a mess but I suppose it depends on your workflow.

Tell me if I understand right, color profile is a bit like units attached to a CAD file.
You embed the color profile you require for the working space/output. For example if you work in Lightroom on raw photography it defaults to ProPhoto working space, when you finish you can export to Jpg sRGB for web or whatever is required.

If you import a CAD drawing without any unit in Max, it is a mess. Same with color profile in Photoshop. Right ?
Maybe? I just adopt the color space the image is in, if I need it in another color space I just convert it.

Try it, if you open a rendering in Corona Image Editor and compare it to what you see in Photoshop, it is not exactly the same. Specially in the Red's..
VFB and Photoshop look the same in my workflow 1:1

2022-05-02, 15:00:53
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The color profile that you see on the VFB should be the one for the monitor AFAIK. So in Photoshop you should assign the monitor's color profile and then convert to SRGB or whatever profile you want.

2022-05-02, 18:51:53
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Color profiles are handled by 3ds Max, which is not color-managed at all.

The difference between what you see in the VFB and what you see in Photoshop is because what you see in the VFB is a linear image with gamma 2.2 applied and what you see in Photoshop or other apps is the same data, but in sRGB color space (it is similar but not the same as gamma 2.2, that's why the differences are mostly visible in the shadows).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us