Author Topic: Caustics playground!  (Read 43723 times)

2019-04-25, 07:10:17
Reply #30

mvstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
test

2019-04-25, 09:17:08
Reply #31

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just to dispel any doubts about the volumetric caustics: currently caustics in the volumes are calculated the old way, meaning that the new solver is not used. They will render, but very slowly. It's listed as one of the limitations here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000056738
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-04-25, 10:21:37
Reply #32

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Does anybody tried to render caustics without adaptivity? I've noticed that rays/s falls dramatically the moment adaptivity kicks in, but hadn't time to test it without adaptivity.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-04-25, 12:47:20
Reply #33

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
That little caustics devouring fellow should't be missing either.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-04-25, 13:27:16
Reply #34

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

just experimenting with the new caustics solver.

Same glass material is working in an empty scene but not in the scene file where it's from.

I would expect some caustics because of the strong sunlight. Am I wrong or doing it wrong?

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Belle
Hi!
Do you have the same light sources in both scenes?
It the second scene much bigger than what we can actually see in the image?
Actually having the scene would really help us to solve this issue :)

2019-04-25, 13:47:30
Reply #35

ASaarnak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Highlight
Loving it- really adds another level to the game. I bet we are going to see a lot of images with extra photoshop boosted caustics element for some time now :D
I think I´ve found a limitation. I´m trying to use caustics in a pool. Everything works well until I unhide landscape which covers a very large area (few kilometres). It then won´t render caustics at all.

2019-04-25, 13:54:46
Reply #36

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Yes. Both issues may be this:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22530.msg147946#msg147946

(See 2.)

I didn't want to spam this thread with it.

Good Luck

2019-04-25, 14:43:23
Reply #37

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. Both issues may be this:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22530.msg147946#msg147946

(See 2.)

I didn't want to spam this thread with it.

Good Luck

I have found.
Scene: a sphere, a plane, an enable caustic. The size of the plane is 2000x2000 cm. You increase to 2000000x2000000, the caustic disappears. You return the plane size 2000x2000, Turn on the interactive render, increase the plane to 2000000x2000000. Caustic works!

2019-04-25, 15:53:26
Reply #38

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Loving it- really adds another level to the game. I bet we are going to see a lot of images with extra photoshop boosted caustics element for some time now :D
I think I´ve found a limitation. I´m trying to use caustics in a pool. Everything works well until I unhide landscape which covers a very large area (few kilometres). It then won´t render caustics at all.

Yes, this is a current limitation of our caustics solver. If the scene is extremely large compared to the caustics, they will disappear.

2019-04-25, 16:10:56
Reply #39

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

Yes, this is a current limitation of our caustics solver. If the scene is extremely large compared to the caustics, they will disappear.

Would it be possible, until this is properly solved of course, to allow caustics to work but only up to a certain distance from the camera/perspective view? So perhaps they could work up to 100m from camera in a sphere then disappear or something. Just to help get things working on normal every-day scenes?
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-04-25, 16:25:50
Reply #40

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Does anybody tried to render caustics without adaptivity? I've noticed that rays/s falls dramatically the moment adaptivity kicks in, but hadn't time to test it without adaptivity.

I did quick test and indeed it looks that caustics and adaptivity doesn't go along well. Noise in caustics cleans much better without adaptivity.

2019-04-25, 16:36:33
Reply #41

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Have you looked at the sampling focus with adaptivity enabled? Just asking if it was reasonable in your opinion. In my tests I had nothing to complain and it worked well. Except for the dragon scene when I added global volume :) Sampling focus looks like snow and after 500 passes and 1:26 render time I reached 5.23% noise ;]

Good Luck

2019-04-25, 16:45:09
Reply #42

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Would it be possible, until this is properly solved of course, to allow caustics to work but only up to a certain distance from the camera/perspective view? So perhaps they could work up to 100m from camera in a sphere then disappear or something. Just to help get things working on normal every-day scenes?

We will try to do something about this issue

2019-04-25, 17:11:08
Reply #43

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Have you looked at the sampling focus with adaptivity enabled? Just asking if it was reasonable in your opinion. In my tests I had nothing to complain and it worked well. Except for the dragon scene when I added global volume :) Sampling focus looks like snow and after 500 passes and 1:26 render time I reached 5.23% noise ;]

Good Luck

Not for this particular test, but i did look at sampling focus earlier and it seems that adaptivity is aware of caustics, but for some reasons it just makes noise worse.

2019-04-26, 08:39:32
Reply #44

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
If adaptivity puts more samples inside caustics, it will slow down rays/s (because we are doing expensive caustics lookups more), but the caustics do not get better - it is more samples reusing the same batch of photons, so no net improvements. If this is the case, it should be fairly straightforward to fix
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)