Author Topic: Impremta Garden (+ breakdowns )  (Read 46417 times)

2017-09-12, 00:46:38

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi everyone,

I didn't post any project for past half-year and finally decided to start doing so again. I was quite tired from work and then decided to take long break over the summer, which didn't work out well as I've (with Veronika) instead started a new sort of project/work/stuff...that's maybe CGI connected or maybe even not :- ) But I at least got to start posting one of many projects sitting sadly on our harddrive. Well at least those not under NDA.

Impremta Garden is one of two Mallorcan real-estate projects we finished (back in April) and it didn't look like much when I got the brief. It was...empty, dark with not that many windows, with some potential. But as I delved deeper into materials and playing with light inside it, it showed its real potential and we're both very proud of it now, I am very happy how it looks. And I am never happy or satisfied...with anything.

Below is some selection of images from it.

Rendered in C-Ray at typical 8k resolution (and it took forever time, don't ask). I downsampled those to 1/4 at 2560px/Jpeg9 so it's watchable (hopefully?) on web :- ). All questions welcome but please don't kill me with pixel-peeping, I am only human.

Client& Interior Design& Art Direction: Whyte Lilja Architects | Visualization& Art Direction: Talcik&Demovicova

Breakdowns/Tutorials are in second post right below ( link http://bit.ly/CoronaThread )

And few more bellow :- ) I didn't want to destroy your bandwidth, the above are all Jpeg(9quality) but quite a lot of them.

There is little bit more user-friendly way to watch it on Behance https://www.behance.net/gallery/56617777/Impremta-Garden
« Last Edit: 2017-09-15, 17:38:32 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-09-12, 00:47:05
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
(reserve)
(already got some questions regarding some materials, light and post-production, so I'll post answers to those here)

One case of light setup is illustrated below (This is Lighting for Livingroom and Bedroom). It's important to stress, these are no magic settings :- ). I often use the Sun intensity in full range ( from 0.01 for tiny hint of Sun to 1.0 full scale ), Sky saturation whether I want more overcast/pre-storm look or more natural, midday look. I might or might not add additional light through planes, and here I added it because the buildings were blocking little more Sky light and I wanted to balance things out. I chose neutral intensity (6500K=White) so it's between warm sun and colder Sky.

{Bedroom} Tricks : There is WHITE wall next to (outside of image on left) bed to bounce light back instead of blocking it :- )

Here is the Patio Setup. Light + PostProduction

(click on images to see high-res)

(click to see higher res). And now onto some embarrassingly simple materials, although there are few complex ones, most are... not. I'll use each mini shader-tut to highlight something different I focus on at.

Here is little bit of post-production in image where it makes the "biggest" impact (I know...bit anti-climatic) :- ). I don't have any final render saved without the LUT, so just imagine flat linear image. Maybe I will re-render some..but not possible right now.

Here is the breakdown of 'Atlas' (Megascan) type shader for plants. Hope it's easy to understand :- ). It let's you use single texture sheets per map (from Megascan, where one Albedo map has 20 leaves but your model has one UV per leaf only).

Last Edit: Today at 15:50:16
The slate view looks robust...but you can even go right back to basic editor type and it will remember those instanced connections across every map. Big thanks to Rawalanche who showed me how to use those linear nodes. I actually asked for a map type node that would do this in Corona.

Here is what you can do to basic Ivy model:

« Last Edit: 2017-09-14, 20:19:42 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-09-12, 06:49:20
Reply #2

lee74in2000

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing Renders ....... The Dynamic Duo has Done it Again as expected. Great work really inspiring.

2017-09-12, 08:46:03
Reply #3

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Masterfull!

JPEG9 is loseless format? Can`t find any info on it.

2017-09-12, 09:46:22
Reply #4

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
When I notice I'm sitting talking to myself about the images, the work is usually extraordinary - or I'm just a bit loony. Amazing work yet again guys. Real stunner!

Are you still using that special framebuffer plugin for CC tweaks or how does you workflow look nowadays once the render finishes? Feel free to point to a different thread if you've answered this recently ;)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2017-09-12, 11:33:37
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
When I notice I'm sitting talking to myself about the images, the work is usually extraordinary - or I'm just a bit loony. Amazing work yet again guys. Real stunner!

Are you still using that special framebuffer plugin for CC tweaks or how does you workflow look nowadays once the render finishes? Feel free to point to a different thread if you've answered this recently ;)

No, I don't use VFB+ anymore even though it still has benefits. Corona integrated the primary features from it (bloom&glare, LUT, curves, contrast,etc..) so I just use Corona framebuffer. I apply highlight tonemapping (not filmic), contrast, B&G, LUT and then I take it into Photoshop as regular 16bit Tiff and work on colors and tweaks there.

Masterfull!

Now I am not sure if you're just trolling me because it's morning :- ). It's Jpeg compressed to quality 9, how Photoshop names it. Anything less (7-8) already creates banding in shadows, but 9 is is 1/4 of the full size and still really good quality.
When I upload to web, bigger resolution + more compression is better then smaller resolution + less compression.

2017-09-12, 12:09:37
Reply #6

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Thanks Juraj

Also, I'm pretty sure Mr. Cop is trolling ;)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2017-09-12, 12:44:38
Reply #7

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Haha, not trolling, got it now. How big do you go for web?

No, I don't use VFB+ anymore even though it still has benefits. Corona integrated the primary features from it (bloom&glare, LUT, curves, contrast,etc..) so I just use Corona framebuffer. I apply highlight tonemapping (not filmic), contrast, B&G, LUT and then I take it into Photoshop as regular 16bit Tiff and work on colors and tweaks there.

Masterfull!

Now I am not sure if you're just trolling me because it's morning :- ). It's Jpeg compressed to quality 9, how Photoshop names it. Anything less (7-8) already creates banding in shadows, but 9 is is 1/4 of the full size and still really good quality.
When I upload to web, bigger resolution + more compression is better then smaller resolution + less compression.

2017-09-12, 16:27:24
Reply #8

Correntes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • PRESSRENDER
As usual, great work.

What I really like in your images is that they show that you care. Great attention in light, detail and composition.

How much days you guys work per image since conception till final render ?

2017-09-12, 16:45:57
Reply #9

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile
this stuff asks for breakdown!
masterfully!

2017-09-12, 16:50:43
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
How much days you guys work per image since conception till final render ?

Thank you much !
On average, I schedule one week of human work per image when budgeting time and money :- ). If I would only count hours when someone has opened 3dsMax and Photoshop, it would be far less, but then communication takes time, waiting for changes,etc. Usually at least two projects happen at same time so it's bit hard to pinpoint down the times.

But sometimes the project is at the end and suddenly a developer asks for 3 more and we have to do them in less than week and that's still doable. But on average it's lot more spread to avoid stress and get enough communication and planning in about them.

Haha, not trolling, got it now. How big do you go for web?

I currently use 2.5k.

this stuff asks for breakdown!
masterfully!

But what exactly :- ) ?
It might actually be one of the easiest projects in terms of technical workflow we did past half-year. But the architecture is so interesting and ended up working so well with light sculpting the spaces inside.
What was hardest in this was how many time certain architectural features changed (esp. windows) because there was another architects company that were bit slow in giving us sufficient information.

I made a first screenshot showing how one case of light is setup using the Sun&Sky. https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17415.msg109258#msg109258
« Last Edit: 2017-09-12, 17:35:21 by Juraj_Talcik »

2017-09-12, 18:35:42
Reply #11

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing as always Juraj. Cool to see how this project progressed from the first set of images you shared in the other thread.

Would you mind showing the straight out of the VFB result so that we can see how the photoshop changes affected the rendered image? Did you use Arion or Camera raw to make the tweaks?

One issue I commonly run into with clients is having to give them several low res renders until they are satisfied with their choice of materials, lighting e.t.c so I try to get my VFB result looking as nice as possible in order to avoid wasting time with post production due to changing elements within the scene / delivering a final image with post production that has changed the tones of certain materials to the displeasure of the client ("why has that cushion become darker?").

P.S Where do you source your textures from? Custom scans or any good web resources you can recommend?
« Last Edit: 2017-09-12, 18:42:03 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2017-09-12, 18:41:21
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Amazing as always Juraj. Cool to see how this project progressed from the first set of images you shared in the other thread.

Would you mind showing the straight out of the VFB result so that we can see how the photoshop changes affected the rendered image? Did you use Arion or Camera raw to make the tweaks?

One issue I commonly run into with clients is having to give them several low res renders until they are satisfied with their choice of materials, lighting e.t.c so I try to get my VFB result looking as nice as possible in order to avoid wasting time with post production due to changing elements within the scene / delivering a final image with post production that has changed the tones of certain materials to the displeasure of the client ("why has that cushion become darker?").

We're no different, I try to send previews looking as nice as possible so they don't pick apart stuff that would be improved later. And that means I have to be flexible so the post-production is very similar from first clay renders to final images.
I don't have any render saved without LUT though, are you fine if I just post the minimal changes I do after I save base render that included LUT ? (The LUT is just high-contrast S-curve like the one you can get with Dubcat's photographic ones).

2017-09-12, 18:49:56
Reply #13

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

We're no different, I try to send previews looking as nice as possible so they don't pick apart stuff that would be improved later. And that means I have to be flexible so the post-production is very similar from first clay renders to final images.
I don't have any render saved without LUT though, are you fine if I just post the minimal changes I do after I save base render that included LUT ? (The LUT is just high-contrast S-curve like the one you can get with Dubcat's photographic ones).

Good to know I'm not the only one this happens to haha. Yes please do post it up!

Have you done any experimentation using Log LUTs? Such as the ones by Adanmq here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=14958.50 (post 66). I've been using the high or very high contrast LUT with great success on certain projects. They have been invaluable in preserving highlights while also giving a nice punchy look to colours/shadows.
Vray who?

2017-09-12, 19:10:41
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Good to know I'm not the only one this happens to haha. Yes please do post it up!

Have you done any experimentation using Log LUTs? Such as the ones by Adanmq here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=14958.50 (post 66). I've been using the high or very high contrast LUT with great success on certain projects. They have been invaluable in preserving highlights while also giving a nice punchy look to colours/shadows.

It's currently not easy to transfer exact LOG curves because we don't know what LOG type is even Corona using ! :- ). Apparently, it's the same as Vray, but damn which one is that either ?

We need answers and then mister Dubcat will revolutionise our post-production workflow once again.

ps: I uploaded first post-pro screen.