Author Topic: How to setup quick preview render settings?  (Read 12350 times)

2015-07-28, 13:27:37

Lantrancy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
When building a scene usually need to do a lot of test rendering, but I found corona takes too long to load a texture-heavy scene and takes lots of time to computing secondary GI, it's simply a waste of time when doing testings, how to make corona give feedback more quickly? It is a little bit uncomfortable when I switch from vray

2015-07-28, 14:12:21
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For large textures you can try bitmap proxies while testing. And for long GI calculation you can try to precalculate HD/UHD cache and reuse it instead of recalculating each time.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-28, 14:31:51
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Textures usually load just once, and then they stay in the memory. That's how 3ds Max works. If you do any render after first, textures should be already loaded. Also since texture loading is handled by 3ds Max bitmap, and not Corona, then texture loading should take exactly the same time it takes with Vray. So it's probably geometry, or maybe some displacement. For UHDcache, you can simply lower precision value for quick previews. That's what the value is for. Lower it to 0.1-0.2 for previews, and put it back to 1.0 for finals.

2015-07-28, 14:45:19
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
my suggestions:
-have you tried interactive rendering? :)
-lower GIvsAA
-lower LSM (preferably not below 1)
-disable UHD cache for secondary solver, use PT instead, quality will be worse in the same given time, but it should render faster, as it is just preview
-disable displacement/any unneeded effects (the displacement switch from common render settings tab works with Corona)
-simplify the scene
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-07-28, 20:22:57
Reply #4

Lantrancy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
my suggestions:
-have you tried interactive rendering? :)
-lower GIvsAA
-lower LSM (preferably not below 1)
-disable UHD cache for secondary solver, use PT instead, quality will be worse in the same given time, but it should render faster, as it is just preview
-disable displacement/any unneeded effects (the displacement switch from common render settings tab works with Corona)
-simplify the scene

yes, I have tried interactive rendering, I isolated an object and give a clay material and it response normally, when I put my material on object it gets quite slow and takes about 30 seconds to show the changings

2015-07-28, 22:26:34
Reply #5

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I must say i love Corona for fast test renders and interactive, large scene test renders on vray 2.4, woah... that was disturbing... :D
When scene is light  use interactive (i.e. lighting setup), if scene is large change resolution to something low like 500x400 :)

2015-07-28, 22:27:26
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
30 sec. for materialchange on 1 object sounds a bit long indeed, unless it's a multimillion object.

- Have you turned of 3dsMax's Bitmap Pager?
- What CPU do you use?
- Is it a complex material in any way?
- Could we see the material setup?

2015-07-29, 06:27:30
Reply #7

Lantrancy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think I found what slowing down corona, I use a lot of standard blend material to create layered material, like dirt glass, when I apply the clear glass to window object, render performance goes 2 times higher

is there any way to create blend material whitout slowing down corona too much?

2015-07-29, 09:47:31
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We need more details. What are you trying to achieve? Can you post examples?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us