Author Topic: Can Corona Scatter a Jungle Aerial  (Read 8576 times)

2015-07-24, 14:52:08

DeyanM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AsymmetricA
Hi,
Borneo’s tropical rain forests are home of unique wildlife and many endangered species. It’s incredible biodiversity is suffering from huge deforestation problems.
The concept of this project for a visitors centre in the heart of a natural reserve, is to respectfully create sequence of a cave like arrival plaza, entrance and sunken gardens to allows visitors become part of nature while protecting the wild habitat.
We produced 2 images, a Serene morning sunrise over the jungle and a Sunset looking the opposite way. 

People we slightly surprised that all trees, landscape and jungle were actually achieve in 3D instead of photoshop. You can see the pure power of Corona Scatter - raw render posted here. Another interesting feature is Corona Volume material. It affects the light and creates a great feel for aerial perspective, fog, soft light, distant haze call it what you like.

For the techies, trees and landscape was split into 3:
Foreground: 2.5 million instances, 7 scatters, 7 tree models, 14 bushes models,
Mid: 5 million instances, 1 scatter, 7 tree models
Far: 5 million instances, 1 scatter, 7 tree models

And if you want to learn more about Corona scatter we’ve made a tutorial, check it out on Corona Blog or on our facebook page.

Have a nice weekend.

2015-07-24, 15:13:15
Reply #1

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow, I really like the mood and the colors of your image. A great example for the fact, that some postwork can push the image much further.
I agree and I believe since Corona Volume Mtl and its easy use many artists tend to create such effects right inside 3ds max instead of adding a ZDepth pass in PS.
Visit boxel

2015-07-26, 22:16:41
Reply #2

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
WoW!!

How much RAM do you have ;) ?

2015-07-27, 08:16:00
Reply #3

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Wow, Corona scatter does rock indeed! :) Great images!
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2015-07-27, 12:11:11
Reply #4

DeyanM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AsymmetricA
Hey, thanks guys.
We have 64GB ram on our machines but this scene i think it reached only around 40GB.

2015-07-27, 12:30:59
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can Corona scatter a jungle? - Yes it can! ;)

Did you use CoronaMultiMap for the trees? If not, I would recommend it. It would introduce more variation to the leaf colors. We are planning to create a tutorial on multimap, so hopefully it will be online soon.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-07-27, 15:05:14
Reply #6

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Did you have problems with the scene parsing? With that amount of trees sometimes I can get like 3 minutes of parsing.

Great job with the image.

2015-07-28, 11:14:16
Reply #7

DeyanM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AsymmetricA
Thank you...
No problems with parsing. 3 minutes sounds ok for large scenes with millions of proxies, instances and large textures.

2015-07-28, 22:24:24
Reply #8

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there any difference in RAM usage between using Corona Scatter for placing proxies and copying them manually?

2015-07-29, 10:42:53
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Is there any difference in RAM usage between using Corona Scatter for placing proxies and copying them manually?
there should be HUGE difference in viewport speed/response speed after each click. That is the main reason we did Corona Scatter
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-08-01, 06:30:52
Reply #10

aTanguay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lovely work. Way to use scatter to its fullest.

2015-08-01, 08:46:14
Reply #11

artofcharly

• Active Users
  • Full-time 3d Outsource
    • View Profile
    • The art of charly

2015-08-05, 17:38:16
Reply #12

kehlje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Arch. Portfolio
How did you control the scatter distribution? I've been using Corona Scatter a lot -- but in a very simple way -- with just evenly distributed field. This looks so natural you most have done something more sophisticated?

2015-08-06, 12:08:53
Reply #13

DeyanM

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AsymmetricA
We did it with a black and white texture derived from the satellite image which was loaded in the density map slop in the scatter.
There is a very detailed tutorial on our facebook page and it is also posted on Corona Render Blog.
Good luck.