Author Topic: Hotfix Question  (Read 1630 times)

2021-10-20, 06:25:35

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A friend of mine that I got him into Corona, might need to send a job to a render farm. He was running v4 of Corona so told him to update the latest Hotfix 2. He informed me the render farm (not sure which one yet) supports Hotfix 1. Knowing he's not using a specific tool that only appeared in Hotfix 2, would he get into any issues rendering a Hotfix 2-saved scene on a Hotfix 1 render farm?

I know he can install the older one, but if he really doesn't have to...

2021-10-20, 10:01:22
Reply #1

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

this is a tricky question.
Generally running an older version for rendering something that was created with the newer one is always a risk. I would advise against it.
Given the fact that hotfix 2 and hotfix 1 are very similar, the risk is significantly reduced as opposed to e.g. v7 and v6. However, saying "specific tool that only appeared in Hotfix 2" is problematic, because that version is primarily dedicated to R25 support and minor internal tweaks, so it is still possible that your friend is in fact using a "specific tool", albeit an invisible one.

tl;dr - I'm not sure, this is largely scene-dependant, I recommend first trying to imitate the setup via Team Render. Then it is up to your friend if they want to "take the gamble".

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-10-20, 14:46:20
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
or he could simply install v7.1 (ask for a link) and test on its own... takes few minutes

2021-10-20, 18:52:57
Reply #3

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should've mentioned he's running r19 at the moment. Mostly likely, this won't happen. It's a job he got thrown into which is currently set up with Physical C4D. Might need to stay on the cartoon side so Corona might not work here (he's still learning).

By the way, if you grab the link for Hotfix 2 and change the 2 to a 1, you can still grab the older version. ;-)

2021-10-21, 09:49:29
Reply #4

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Well don't tell everyone that! ;)

We will be removing those as times goes on, but we don't really see harm in allowing you to download that, similarly to v6 and older stable versions.

Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.