Author Topic: Interactive frame  (Read 4932 times)

2015-07-07, 14:15:56

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The interactive renderer doesn't work when updating a reference file.

2015-07-07, 14:38:22
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, does it work if you close the IR window and start it again?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-07-08, 16:29:44
Reply #2

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes then it works.

2015-07-08, 17:20:29
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok, then this is because geometry is processed only once and then things like materials or transforms are taken into account. This probably won't get "fixed" as it could render IR unusable in some cases. A "force IR update" button could solve this, it is already in feature requests.

2015-07-08, 18:09:57
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If it updates fine in Max viewport but not in IR, then it's probably just another bug ;)

2015-07-08, 20:05:46
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hmm maybe... But it would need to reload the whole object. So if this is supposed to work with IR, then why displacement isn't?
« Last Edit: 2015-07-08, 21:01:44 by Rawalanche »

2015-07-08, 21:02:16
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hmm maybe... But it would need to reload the whole object. So if this is supposed to work with IR, then why displacement isn't?

Because displacement is view dependent. It would mean re-tessellating entire displacement (which usually takes at least a few seconds) every time you move your view. That would mean fluid view navigation and feedback would be impossible. Xref updating on the other hand is just non-view-dependent operation you have to perform only when Xref refreshes. It's no different than for example creating new primitive or editing editable mesh while IR is running. Both of those things work with IR.

If you mean IR not updating when you change some of the map parameters, that's just a bug that's already logged on mantis. Displacement should correctly refresh whenever you change anything that changes displacement result, except moving view. Only thing that changes displacement result but should not be updated automatically is moving view. :)

PS: Sorry about editing your post, once again i accidentally clicked modify instead of quote. But i left your message untouched :)

2015-07-08, 22:06:40
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
If it updates fine in Max viewport but not in IR, then it's probably just another bug ;)

This leads to the very basic question: what exactly should be rendered by IR?

That what you see in the viewport? Or: That what would be rendered when you hit "render"?

The three key situations for me are:

1. When you have a Xref scene (for me still the one and only way to assemble large scenes) and it is not set to "Visible" in the Xref Scenes dialogue so that you don´t see it in the viewport. Should it be rendered in IR? At the moment it does render that Xref scene.

2. When you ALT-Q something (isolate it): Should the other non isolated objects be rendered by IR? At the moment it does not (but still any xref scenes!)

3. When you do a "Hide by category". Should the hidden objects be rendered by IR (and by standard render, but that´s another topic which hopefully will be discussed some day)? At the moment it does.

Isn´t IR meant for quick tweaking/previewing? For me personally it should always only render what´s in the viewport. So the behaviour for every of the three situations is not what I would like to have for a quick preview tool (IR).

« Last Edit: 2015-07-08, 22:39:06 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2015-07-09, 00:23:29
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
IR should render exact same thing final production renderer does. So if you spend an hour building scene with IR, and then you hit final render button, you will get exactly 100% 1:1 what you've built in IR.

So:

1, Yes, it should render that Xref scene if final rendering mode renders it. If not, it should be considered a bug

2, If you isolate something, it should render isolated stuff only, because final rendering mode renders isolated stuff as well.

3, Hide by category is only viewport AFAIK, ignored for rendering, so that should remain ignored for IR as well.

In general IR is what it always should be - Interactive Renderer. Exactly the same thing as final renderer with only difference that you can move stuff around and change it without need to restart rendering and wait for translation. Of course Corona is not in the ideal state yet, but it's closest to ideal state from all the 3ds Max renderer plugins in my opinion.

Consider ideal state something like Unreal Engine, where you basically build the scene right in the renderer, without any seams. It saves a lot of time and greatly helps to reduce perception fatigue.

My dream is that one day Corona IR will allow us for workflow similar to these videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/evilmrfrank/videos

:)

2015-07-09, 10:21:43
Reply #9

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At the moment when updating xref, it appears in de viewport but in ir nothing. But sounds indeed logic nothing appears because of the parsing maybe. But if you draw a box it appears..
For me it would be great if it works. working mostly around ten xrefs or more on big cityscapes. But I am allready amazed by that the ir handles this big data sets with changing the view/perspective.

those are some amazing video's btw.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-09, 10:26:17 by vhector »

2015-08-08, 17:29:07
Reply #10

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Rawa, I agree in 1. and 3 and that it should render(!) exactly as the final render. But I presume no one at all uses IR for final production but for quick tweaking. And it does it´s job so perfectly (now that a lot crashing causes get fixed),  that´s in fact unique.

So at least the ALT-Q part is very questionable for me. Consider for example the god ray tutorial where there is alot ALT-Qing. If the scene would have any Xref scenes attached (e.g. the arch xrefed out), it just would not work to have a table quickly isolated to tweak/modify it and then check it again in the complete scene without switching on and off the Xrefs every time. There are various reasons to xref stuff out - I don´t have to tell you.

My dream is that one day Corona IR will allow us for workflow similar to these videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/evilmrfrank/videos

Fantastic! But dream on :) Not with Max as host application. Never in this universe :]

Good Luck!

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2015-08-08, 21:53:21
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Fantastic! But dream on :) Not with Max as host application. Never in this universe :]

Good Luck!

Pretty much. I know 3dsMax has to hold more information in viewport, but damn, the difference between fluency of Max for example, to pretty much any current-gen DX11+ engine is mind-blowing.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-10-14, 19:02:45
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)