Author Topic: Corona 1.2.1 hotfix displacement problem, not working subdividing the mesh  (Read 4454 times)

2015-08-26, 08:08:31

relox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everybody im having some problems with displacement i left the displacement option 2.0 pix size in performance tab, but when i render my displacement gets awful.

--Then i subdivide my mesh with this options turbosmooth, tessellate,meshsmooth, then i render again and nothing happens.

--So i have to get displacement option to 0.7 pix size and the displacement gets very sharp and very well, but i only have 16gb ram and my computer gets freeze.

Is there a solution to this for the moment? why when i subdivide my mesh dosent affect the tesselation option an gets like if my mesh wasnt subdivided?

Thanks for any answers i´ll appreciate it .

2015-08-26, 12:20:17
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you post some pictures of what is happening?

There are still some problems with displacement and memory consumption in the newest version, especially when the displaced object is close to the camera. A fix should be available soon.

why when i subdivide my mesh dosent affect the tesselation option an gets like if my mesh wasnt subdivided?
See attachments. Corona will subdivide the mesh to required value anyway. So there is no difference between subdivided and lowpoly mesh unless you increase screen size to extreme values (like 16-32px in this case). You screen size is set to 2 and probably the same effect is visible.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-27, 01:28:50
Reply #2

relox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks maru for your answer hooo i get it so right now doesnt matter if i subdivide my mesh i will get the same displacement as it were one poly object, i hope there´s an update nearly that fix this problem of tessellate the mesh in a simplify way even if the camera were close, because i need to work with displacement maps and doesnt eat my ram like a chewing gum, i attached what im talking about.

2015-08-27, 10:56:56
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Displacement in your example clearly not working as it should. I can't remember exactly in what build filtering of displacement maps was removed, but you can try to set filtering lower or turn it off completely to see if it helps.

You can be sure displacement will eat all available RAM if you go with such extreme values as 0.2px screen size. Try a more reasonable values like 1px first. As for subdividing, there's not a much point to pre subdivide much if your topology is good. For a big flat single poly plane like in your example, turbosmooth with couple iterations is plenty enough.

If you have access to daily builds and feel comfortable enough to use it, i recomend to try latest daily - displacement has some significant improvement in it. See attached example. Screen size of 1px was used, but 2px gives not much worse result either.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-08-27, 12:02:44
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Oh, sorry, I forgot that displacement was heavily tweaked in the newest builds. You can grab a daily from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mswauuv1afec8am/AAA5OKrd_QujokDM3mxQ7S40a
And here is how to install it: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015
« Last Edit: 2018-03-12, 15:24:05 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-28, 01:31:50
Reply #5

relox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow thats a really nice displacement, ok if i understood my error with displacement is because the version of 3ds max im using, its 2016 version but trial 30day version, my question is,i need to reinstalled 3ds max? to see if it works?, another question where´s the (filtering lower or turn it off) option?, im a fairsaas licencer but i dont know if i can get daily builds, thanks for your responses. both of you.

2015-08-28, 01:55:02
Reply #6

relox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi again, thanks maru for the daily builds instruccion i downloaded the files and its really better now im really happy i will play with maps, and the ram cost its low compared to the hotfix version, thanks romullus i set screen pix to 1.0 and it works like charm with a simple box, this is a really great forum fast answers at any help like others no ones anwser really quickly, thanks alot!!!!, to all the team members and the development minds.

2015-08-28, 09:54:25
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Cool, let's hope that V1.3 won't make us wait too long for it :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures