Author Topic: Missing Maps during DR/Network Rendering  (Read 10697 times)

2015-08-11, 14:13:22

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Hi folks,

Running 1.2 in demo license mode on 1 workstation and 2 render nodes, all with activated Demo Licenses (opened Max on each and activated Corona to a demo license). Gamma settings are identical on all 3 machines, max versions, backburner versions all identical and working perfectly. Sent a successful bunch of jobs through BB using Corona and VRay and all perfect except maps will not work at all with Corona.

We've tried using UNC paths, as instructed, so paths are like \\machine\folder\map.jpg etc. and we've also tried mapping a network drive on all the machines so they all see the maps under L:\maps\map.jpg but neither approach has worked.

Same issue with both DR and with network frame rendering.

The results - renders with no map. So with a bright blue CoronaMaterial with a wood texture on it the DR nodes will return a bright blue result while the local render shows the map correctly. The local machine always renders correctly, even when the map is accessed across the network.

It's definitely not a Gamma issue (can tell this because of the above - the blue should not appear if it was a gamma issue).

We've tried literally everything we can think of from the Doc and from forum posts.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

PS. While we're on the topic, are there any plans to implement a "Transfer Assets" tool with DR like the new VRay has? This would solve all such issues I guess.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-08-11, 15:17:08
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This has to be fixable... As there are more and more reports like this, also more and more possible solutions pop up. Here is what we can advise you for now:
- https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,8543.0.html
-please send content of DrData (located in DR installation folder) to our support ( https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new )
-aren't you rendering a frame with negative number? (example: frame -1, -5, etc)
-are you rendering any 3rd party plugins? (vray camera, vray hdri, multitexture, ...)
-can you run uninstaller (it is available as an option in the official installer) and completely remove Corona from all machines, and then install it again?
-completely uninstall (not just deactivate!) any antivirus and firewall you are using
-are there any XREF objects in your scene?
-you can also use some scripts like "asset collector" available on scriptspot to collect all of the assets in one place and update all materials, and check if this will help

Also, do you NEED Backburner for this? Does everything work fine if you use Corona's DR ONLY? Or Backburner ONLY?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-14, 15:05:58
Reply #2

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Thank you I am running through this list over the next days and weeks. It's very frustrating how difficult it is to get this working. It should really work with UNC, local or network paths without issue. If the DRServer can read the scene ok then it should pull the maps over too. It's all very strange.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-08-17, 09:32:54
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive been having the exact same problem. Its very annoying to not be able to utilise the render farm because the speed boost is phenomenal when it renders. just missing the maps unfortunately.

2015-08-17, 09:45:13
Reply #4

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Going to have another bash at this today. I refuse to be beaten by it! I'm losing a huge amount of productivity with my nodes sitting still doing nothing.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-08-17, 10:37:07
Reply #5

rfletchr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've found that using the max "asset tracking" to make all texture paths absolute is the best way to fix missing textures when network rendering. This obviously hinges on the fact that you textures are stored on a network share.

2015-08-17, 13:57:28
Reply #6

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
So, a bit more testing has been done here and I can conclude the following:

- UNC paths work fine. Maps are transferred.
- Absolute Paths while using Mapped Network Drives do not work

So to clarify my setup, I have 1 master machine which has 3 drives/folders shared on my network, F, H and Z, and 2 rendernodes. Each of my nodes has these drives Mapped in Explorer to the same drive letter, so they each have F, H and Z, with full read and write permissions. The paths therefore are identical. Those machines can browse those drives perfectly and access all maps etc. This setup works perfectly with VRay (even when I don't use asset collection/transfer).

One more important conclusion - when using Absolute Paths and Mapped Network Drives, Backburner Network Rendering works perfectly - i.e. maps are transferred and read through the Mapped Network Drives just fine. So the issue is 100% purely with DR rendering using Mapped Network Drives.

So the issue appears to be with Corona in DR mode not pulling maps from Mapped Network Drives.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-17, 14:08:47 by atelieryork »
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-08-17, 15:05:01
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for all that info, this is very helpful! The problem is - why does this work for some users, and does not work for others?

2015-08-17, 15:06:13
Reply #8

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
No problem. Who knows, maybe something to do with windows versions? I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit here. Backburner set up and running perfectly, so no issues there. Ports all opened up etc.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-08-17, 15:13:16
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you using some antivirus or firewall?

2015-08-17, 15:51:16
Reply #10

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Just windows Firewall.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-08-17, 15:53:29
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you check what happens if you disable it everywhere? If you are not comfortable with that, you could cut off Internet for that time.

2015-08-17, 15:54:22
Reply #12

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Will try this, sure.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-08-17, 16:00:09
Reply #13

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Disabled Windows Firewall and still the same issue. No change.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-08-18, 23:13:23
Reply #14

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive also tried resolving paths to UNC but max doesnt seem to do anything to them. I am on Windows 7 and unfortunately i cant disable my firewall as its a hardware firewall on a network so they wouldnt be happy about that. I also tried with backburner and MR and the nodes render properly and with maps. they also share mapped drives with the manager PC. The more you know :)