Author Topic: corona material with corona displacement + corona scatter -- bug  (Read 3132 times)

2017-07-25, 06:46:01

oncire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i dont know if this bug was already discussed... i noticed a problem with "corona material with corona displacement" + "corona scatter".

example scene setup:
- a flat plane with simple corona material with corona displacement enabled -- noise map
- corona scatter object with the "flat plane" act as "distribution on object"

problem:
- the scatter objects dont stick on the flat plane with displacement in render/interactive. somehow the scatter objects is still stays as if the plane is flat

3dsmax 2014, corona version 1.6 hotfix 1

attached here is the image to illustrate the problem.

2017-07-25, 08:38:46
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
this is curently by design - scatter takes the viewport representation of an object, not render representation, as scatter base. This is to make it easier to work with - since viewport representation is what you see in viewport, it would be weird working with scatter where the objects are "floating" in space outside of distribution basemesh
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-25, 09:01:19
Reply #2

oncire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for the reply. i see... now i understand. corona scatter is a "viewport representation" by design... maybe an option in the future to make the scatter objects follow the "distribution object" on render time... particularly useful in "procedural/texture-base displacement",  when actual mesh/geometry is not an option.

2017-07-25, 09:37:36
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
As a workaround, you could add some subdivisions (tesselate, turbosmooth, etc) to distribution plane and then add displace modifier. Plug your displacement map into it and then disable both subdivision and displace modifiers for rendering. That way you'll have scatter that follows displacement correctly and on render it will use superior Corona displacement instead of max's one. There's one downside to that method though - it probably won't work with interactive rendering, as it is using viewport modifiers rather than rendering ones.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-25, 12:31:17
Reply #4

oncire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for the tip...i still think it should be obvious already to always follow the "distribution object" in corona scatter whether its in viewport or while rendering for displacement.  Since the surface is actually modified in displacement.