Author Topic: 4K and 8K resolution. New challenges?  (Read 4750 times)

2020-07-29, 03:12:28

Stan_GF

• Active Users
  • Happy rendering!
    • View Profile
    • GarageFarm.NET
Hi guys.

I have a question. Recently 4K becomes a new standard for animations and feature movies.

What does it mean for people working in CG\Games\VFX. Do you expect more work on the detail that needs to be don to fill such res? Are there any challenges or new workflows, and tools coming with that?

Also, is 8K now a resolution which is used to anything? Like a technical over resolution to be scaled down?

I'm curious about your opinions.
https://garagefarm.net / Skype: garage.farm - The Cheapest render farm. 20.000 cores and growing!
https://3dbee.it - 3D asset store with integrated application
https://www.xesktop.com - Powerful GPU servers for rental

2020-09-26, 01:29:10
Reply #1

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I work at a a major VFX facility (700+ employees). For shows that deliver at 4k+, what we now do is that all departments that create images all work at half res (2k). Then once we have gotten a creative approval from the client for a shot, a set of 4k renders are then triggered at the end. Though, not all passes are selected for a 4k re-render, for example a dust pass may still be good enough at 2k. The new 4k comp is then delivered to the client as a 'tech' update. We found the trade off of re-rendering 4k versions of existing renders to be ore efficient that every department working at 4k from the beginning.

Btw, 4k is not actually a standard for films with an aim to release theatrically, a great deal of them are still native 2k. Ironically, most of the shows we work on at 4k res are mainly for the streamers, where people are watching from their phones most of the time, which seems a bit overkill.

2020-09-28, 22:46:45
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I work at a a major VFX facility (700+ employees). For shows that deliver at 4k+, what we now do is that all departments that create images all work at half res (2k). Then once we have gotten a creative approval from the client for a shot, a set of 4k renders are then triggered at the end. Though, not all passes are selected for a 4k re-render, for example a dust pass may still be good enough at 2k. The new 4k comp is then delivered to the client as a 'tech' update. We found the trade off of re-rendering 4k versions of existing renders to be ore efficient that every department working at 4k from the beginning.

Btw, 4k is not actually a standard for films with an aim to release theatrically, a great deal of them are still native 2k. Ironically, most of the shows we work on at 4k res are mainly for the streamers, where people are watching from their phones most of the time, which seems a bit overkill.

I often wonder with streaming content and online content they want it higher res because it futureproofs it.The longer their videos are there and watchable the longer they will keep making them money from views.

2020-09-29, 17:17:53
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
How about using some kind of AI upscaling?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us