Author Topic: Layered Material Bug  (Read 3543 times)

2017-01-12, 16:33:30

C00P3R

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
When I use the layered material I am finding I have a lot of issues.

Displacement doesn't work.
Ambient occlusion doesn't work.
Bump doesn't work.
SSS doesn't work.

If I create a simple material with ANY of the above and then apply the same material via a layered material I loose the above settings.

Please could you help / fix this problem.

Thanks

2017-01-12, 17:58:27
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Could you post some examples of the issue you are describing? I am guessing that most of them should work if you apply them to the base material.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-04-02, 13:04:10
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
cannot reproduce - all of these work, though some of them only in base material. Will reopen if a specific scene showing the problem is posted
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-04-04, 14:20:04
Reply #3

quizzy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well okay then. Attached (I hope) is a max2017 max file. Corona 1.5 HF 2 used. Only one material, just swap the base and layer 0 material and see that the SSS does not give the correct results?

2017-04-04, 17:18:09
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What we can see in your attached scene is that the SSS properties are always taken from the base material. This is currently expected.
If there are some other issues with the layered materials, please also send scenes demonstrating it (the most recent report + scene was perfect).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-04-04, 17:29:08
Reply #5

quizzy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
in this case though the SSS effect is NOT visible in the parts with the non-SSS material. In other words: If the translucency is placed in layer 0 and the base has no trans. then the effect is not there at all. If the translucent material is in the base and a non-SSS is in the layer 0 slot, the SSS-effect is only seen on the base material, NOT on the layer 0 material.

2018-01-10, 15:35:11
Reply #6

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just to reignite an old thread, having a very similar issue here.

I have some grass that I'm trying to make frosty.

I have a layered material, the base is the grass, and layer 1 is the frost.

For the frost I want to add small displacement and a bit of translucency or SSS.

This doesn't work because the displacement is in layer 1.

How the frost appears is also affected by a falloff map.

If I apply the displacement to the base material, then I also have to duplicate the falloff so that the displacement works on the 'frosted' areas only.

This still doesn't solve the translucency/SSS issue

The other issue I have with this, is I was hoping to use the frosty setup for an entire scene.  I'm not sure how practical this is when a lot of the base materials already have displacement?