Author Topic: MotionBlur on moving objects does not work?  (Read 1442 times)

2021-10-22, 12:57:52

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
I have a problem with CoronaCamera and motionblur which I do not know how to solve. If I add corona camera motion blur and the camera is following a moving object. Not only does the background get motion blur, but the object the camera is linked to gets motion blur as well, so that everything gets blurred. Is there a way to solve this or is this a limitation to the motion blur?

2021-10-22, 13:56:23
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have done this in the past and it worked fine, but that was 2, 3 years ago. Maybe there was a bug introduced in the meantime?

2021-10-22, 14:06:41
Reply #2

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Perhaps there are certain limitations? I linked a model to a pathfollow constraint and linke the camera to that model moving. With this the motionblur becomes completely bonkers.

2021-10-22, 14:28:56
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This should work, it did definitely work for me. Maybe the hierarchy matters?
My setup was:

animated dummy helper > dummy > camera
                                    > dummy > geometry

So both the geometry and the camera were linked to the animated dummy respectively.

If it doesn't work, make sure to set up a simple repro case for support.

Also, something I discovered recently: if you are using distance maps for mapping, these will not animate with object motion blur, only camera blur. So in a setup like yours, if the moving object would use distance map, the textures from the distance map would get motion blur when they actually shouldn't.

2021-10-22, 19:54:56
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I tried a really simple setup and it works correctly here, scenes for max 2018 and 2021 attached.
Didn't care for dummies, just a simple car geo with a path constraint with a few tires and the camera linked to it.

Render through the camera, checking motion blur options on and off and you'll see that it works correctly:
- camera and transform motion blur -> tires' rotation is blurred, car is not (correct)
- camera blur only -> everything looks static (correct)
- transform motion blur only -> car and tires are blurred (correct)

Did you enable the correct motion blur options (both have to enabled) in the camera?
Also, are your transform segments set to high enough values? If you have fast transforms or very long exposure you may have to increase the transform segments in the Corona's settings dialog under 'Scene'. Too low values can look weird or miss the transforms entirely, looking like it's not working at all.

2021-10-22, 23:16:10
Reply #5

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Thank you so much! I actually had no idea you had to have both on to make the motion blur on. I tried them both one by one, but because the animation is only a sphere of a flipper ball moving, without local animation and the camera follows it so it stands "still" for the camera, I thought it to be logical only to use camera motion...because the ball itself didn't need motionblur. But turning it on in this case removed the motion blur from the ball itself :D

thanks for helping!