Author Topic: Target CoronaSun  (Read 12341 times)

2015-08-24, 13:59:00

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I downloaded the 1.2.1 version. Great update!
The only thing is I saw the CoronaSun has changed to a target Sun.

I used the "old" angle/direction sliders a lot.
Can you put them back on the roll out? For instance if the Target checkbox is turned off?

I don't want to be reactionary btw :)

Thanks,

Jeroen

2015-08-24, 14:32:32
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The old sun model was removed because it was hard to use in some scenarios, for example animation, as it relied on spinners, and couldn't be rotated in the viewport. With the new sun, you can disable "targeted" mode, switch to object rotation, and input the numeric values in the spinners at the very bottom of 3ds Max interface. It will work exactly the same as the old model.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-24, 16:09:46
Reply #2

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Didn't realize the animation limitations. I'll rewrite my maxscript (uses the sunrotation property)

I only make stills :)

Thanks for your quick reply!

2015-08-24, 16:30:19
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Wasn't viewport lighting the main reason behind replacing old CoronaSun with new one? Anyway, you can try daylight system if you prefer numerical input control.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-08-24, 16:52:47
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Wasn't viewport lighting the main reason behind replacing old CoronaSun with new one? Anyway, you can try daylight system if you prefer numerical input control.
Yes, viewport lighting too.

2015-08-26, 14:06:20
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually, in 1.2.1 hotfix you can disable "Targeted" checkbox in Corona sun to get arrow back. You can then zero out rotation in the bottom 3ds Max coordinates panel, and input precise rotation coordinates.

Here's an example of sun rotated 45° horizontally and 80° vertically (10° above horizon):

Also, pivot of non-targeted sun is aligned to the tip of arrow, making it easy to position sun using rotate gizmo.

2015-08-26, 22:55:49
Reply #6

Dollmaker

• Active Users
    • View Profile
New Sun system is pretty messed up.. Need old system .. as sun position and angle can be easily adjusted using modifier in old one.. or at least implement them in sun modifier panel..

New sun is really annoying.. *Bitch Slap* to new sun :)

Thanks..

2015-08-27, 08:18:10
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
New Sun system is pretty messed up.. Need old system .. as sun position and angle can be easily adjusted using modifier in old one.. or at least implement them in sun modifier panel..

New sun is really annoying.. *Bitch Slap* to new sun :)

Thanks..

Could you post an example of what you mean? Are you sure you are not mixing modifiers with controllers?

2015-08-27, 11:25:01
Reply #8

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
I like the new sun system more, but I must admit that it was a helpfull thing to have all the angles visible.

I would like to see what angle Im puting my sun at, even when I do it on target mode, it still could allow for the use of controllers angle, angle and distance. Would be a great thing.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2015-08-27, 11:59:06
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Guys, have you really read this topic and seen the screenshot by Rawa?

2015-08-27, 12:23:54
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm sorry maru, but i think that method suggested by Rawalanche is plain rubbish. It's nowhere near as convenient as old sun controls was. I'd rather stick with daylight system. OTOH i'm getting used to new sun and doesn't feel much need in numerical controls anymore :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-08-27, 15:33:46
Reply #11

Dollmaker

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Could you post an example of what you mean? Are you sure you are not mixing modifiers with controllers?

Yes i mean controllers.. they should appear in modifier panel like last sun.. so one can just rotate sun and angle from there.. rather then manually moving it.. trust me its hard to do that also most of the times it require to zoom out from view.. i like to stay within my cam and see results on IR while i rotate or play with sun params.. this allow me to create prefect sun positions the way i want..

2015-08-27, 15:47:20
Reply #12

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Yes i mean controllers.. they should appear in modifier panel like last sun.. so one can just rotate sun and angle from there.. rather then manually moving it.. trust me its hard to do that also most of the times it require to zoom out from view.. i like to stay within my cam and see results on IR while i rotate or play with sun params.. this allow me to create prefect sun positions the way i want..

Oh, those are not controllers, but simple parameters. And you can do that with new sun too. As you can see on the picture few posts above ;) Just disable targeted mode of the sun, activate rotate tool, and on the bottom of 3ds Max UI, you have XYZ spinners that you can now rotate using those spinner handles, while remaining in camera view.

2015-10-16, 12:10:47
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here is a sun with angle control made in about 5 minutes. You can download the file and merge it into your scene whenever you need it. You can also add a fancy compass object to it if you wish. ;)

It was made in daily build, 3ds Max 2016 and saved to 2014 so let me know if there are any problems with it.

2015-10-27, 15:56:19
Reply #14

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Hi maru, is it posible to use your sun "arrow" linked to an Hdri? Using the sun with 0 Intensity, just to get the visual help of the rotation (just horizontal rotation)
Thx for the sun btw