Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 486941 times)

2018-02-09, 17:48:24
Reply #585

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Razzow,

I personally use these:
https://masteringcgi.com.au/product/dirt-textures-pack-01/

...and can really recommend them. Suit all my needs (mixing maps, adding dirt, adding scratches, improving glossiness maps etc...)

2018-02-17, 13:08:23
Reply #586

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I missed this question but my answer will be bit strange :- ) :

I almost never get to use scratch maps. It's the sort of detail that isn't necessary for my work, and even high-end photography of product and real-estate would completely brush it away.
But when I do amassed various sources from gumroad and some from Bertran's scenes he sells on Turbosquid.

There are few very insane high-res ones on textures.com and lot of quite nice on poliigon (only thing I downloaded from them, nothing rest is worth).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-02-19, 08:07:09
Reply #587

Razzow

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-03-06, 22:24:11
Reply #588

Icodyne

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some time ago I wrote article that is now online if you're in a reading mood :- ). It took me many bathtub meditations to put my thoughts together coherently (thinking&writing really does hurt) so I hope it was worth it.

""So goes a proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he will never ask "What HDRi/LUT did you use?" ever again."

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2017/12/business-in-arch-viz-vol-10---finding-your-look

Fantastic article! As a fine artist who is also an aspiring freelance Architectural Visualizer, I've always thought that inspiration could be drawn from other idioms. I find your more "playful" experimental approach refreshing, and I've always been inspired by your work. Thank you!
Please view my portfolio:
http://www.digitalvisualization.net

2018-03-06, 23:14:10
Reply #589

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you much Icodyne ! Good luck with your efforts.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-05-10, 20:49:39
Reply #590

diorowen

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,
Hope you are well.
I have a few question about lighting and noise that i have been wondering.
So recently I'm rendering a scene with low lighting condition, small opening.
but the part where all the shadow occur is really noisy. even after 350 passes it wont disappear.
The same with all bump material with low glossiness level.
Do you have any suggestion for it?
how many passes for a render do u usually render it to in average?

Also in some cases, how do we balance light in small opening spaces without artificial light eg:bathroom image in imprempta garden, it has a soft lighting that lighten up the space naturally?

in my cases was more like if we increase the light source, it will burnt the area where it hits.
so I increase the exposure to lighten the inside space and to avoid the burnt, i gotta lower the light source and keep increasing the exposure, which might make no sense, but I cant get the image just like how i photograph a space with small opening, which is frustrating.

I tried adjusting it in post with like camera raw from photoshop, but when we lift up the shadows which is originally dark, it goes up with noise in it which leads me back to my first question.

Thanks Juraj.
Always looking forward for your new work.
Also I hope you can make a tutorial, I'd be dyin to see how you work :D

2018-05-10, 21:12:39
Reply #591

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi,

hope my answer won't be confusing, I have bit mushy brain from lot of work late few days. So my answer comes in form of notes :- )

- Tough GI is.. bit problem in Corona, well in most rendering software. No way around it... to clean it up, some scenario suddenly require 10 times the render time more run of the mill scenario would.
- I run into it quite often. In theory things like "Light Portals" should help, and they sometimes do...but results wary and I was never quite impressed by it.
- Possible solution is to simplify the lighting scheme but achieve the same thing. In the Impremta Bathroom, there is no Sky/Sun/HDRi outside, there is square area light. The result is visually identical, because that's what small portals do to light in reality. It renders much faster.

-Materials with broad specular/low glossiness like satin paint, with micro structure....are hell. They never... never clean-up. What I do...is I wait forever...and then use bit of denoiser on top. Not too much, to avoid the painterly look. 0.3 +/-

- My solution was to buy a lot of computers. I am not kidding, I have 6 heavy dual-xeon machines and my render times are still hours :- ). In fact, every year I have more computer power...and my render times always increase :- ).

- It doesn't matter if you increase exposure or light source. It's the very same thing. You avoid burnout with creative lighting, highlight compression, post-production and most importantly...accepting that burnout is natural. Burnout is your friend :- ) As long as it's clean and desaturated, burnouts happen in photography and bring that life and dynamic into image.

- Yup, the hidden noise in shadows is very similar to photography. It is also intentional behavior due to adaptivity. Denoising might be the only solution here.

2018-05-11, 00:17:55
Reply #592

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Renders look pretty good, there are some intersection issues and general comp issues, that i would mod, but genarlly nice renders
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2018-05-11, 09:31:06
Reply #593

diorowen

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot Juraj.
That helps me a lot, knowing that I'm in a right direction haha.
I am a practicing architect, not a true 3d artist. So buying a lots of computer would get me killed by my partners :(.
I guess i will have to try render farm then.
Thanks once again.

2018-05-11, 11:33:40
Reply #594

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com

- My solution was to buy a lot of computers. I am not kidding, I have 6 heavy dual-xeon machines and my render times are still hours :- ). In fact, every year I have more computer power...and my render times always increase :- ).

I know the feeling! You buy more computers, but then put more passes, bigger resolution... just has no end to it

2018-06-08, 09:00:46
Reply #595

Razzow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello again guys!

I've got another question for you. Where can i get 3d models of large rocks & stones for a project im working on? The house is going to be placed on a scandinavian coast.

2018-06-08, 10:09:11
Reply #596

Marcus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Subdivision
Hello again guys!

I've got another question for you. Where can i get 3d models of large rocks & stones for a project im working on? The house is going to be placed on a scandinavian coast.

I guess the Megascans library could fit pretty well:
https://megascans.se/library/latest

2018-06-08, 16:01:58
Reply #597

Razzow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes agreed! I tried it out now and it seems to work as planned :)

2018-08-27, 08:04:07
Reply #598

Razzow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello again. I feel like im not up to date on the PBR materials so i have a question for you. Corona devs said that you're supposed to use IOR 1.6 instead of the standard 1.52 for PBR but i'ved noticed that the corona library materials use 1.52 IOR. Have they changed it or should you still go for 1.6?

2018-08-27, 13:35:57
Reply #599

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hello again. I feel like im not up to date on the PBR materials so i have a question for you. Corona devs said that you're supposed to use IOR 1.6 instead of the standard 1.52 for PBR but i'ved noticed that the corona library materials use 1.52 IOR. Have they changed it or should you still go for 1.6?

Where did devs say that ?

Truth be told, there is very little difference in that range. On website like https://refractiveindex.info/ you can find special section for 3D artists with various plastics where the "n" number (complex IOR had both "n" and "K" parameter, but for non-conductors like plastics K=1, so "n"=becomes the whole simple IOR which we use in rendering).
Common plastic range from 1.48 to 1.58 so.. you can use any number you like. If you feel the object is more shiny (woods are), use 1.6 +/-, if you feel it should be more matte like PVP use 1.52. It's not gonna make drastic difference, don't worry. Or just use 1.52 for everything ;- )