Author Topic: Just an advice  (Read 3429 times)

2019-05-31, 16:41:44

Nube architetture

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey everyone,
I would like have an advice about a topic that really struggle me.
I'm looking for the realism in architecture visualization but i cant't reach it. I Know that it isn't only a question of chose the right set up of lights, matherials but also good composting and good color grading.

i post this two images just for and external point of view and maybe have some advises.

In conclusion, don't you think that 3ds + corona is more precise than c4d + corona ?
Is It just my opinion ?
I mean is very hard find out good images with c4d corona...or it has just less users... :)

thanks in advance

Bye

Nube Architetture

2019-05-31, 16:44:27
Reply #1

Nube architetture

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry That is the second one

2019-05-31, 17:22:52
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Because it has less users. In terms of quality, http://www.slashcube.ch/works/ have used nothing but C4D and Corona for some years now.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-05-31, 17:25:47
Reply #3

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Nube,

always an interesting topic "what makes renders look real" ?

From my personal experience:

1. lighting, lighting and again lighting.
    "A bad photographer cares for his gear, a mediocre one for the motives, and talented ones care for the light"... :)

Be aware... in beautiful and natural lighting, even an empty room will look great and will have ATMOSPHERE.

daylight is not generic, like the sky & sun system in 3D-softs ( they are okay for some purposes)
    daylight reflects colorful light from blue sky, orange sun, green grass & tress, etc... so, use HDRs !

2. physically plausible materials (IOR, gloss, etc. )
3. objects that are according to real world ( size, proportion, details, etc)

4. avoid "perfection" - means: in reality NOTHING is really perfectly clean, straight, etc.
    apply imperfections and variations in reflection especially on floors, furniture surfaces, glass, etc.
5. don´t exaggerate with contrasts but also avoid a "grayish" light & color mood.
   try to make it look like we see reality... not over-artistic and with those typical Arch-Vis dramatic moods that looks like total composting... except your client likes it... or you simply want this mood... :)

Of course, if the render engine doesn't calculate a natural lighting... it´s bad.
But Corona really DOES calculate a very natural light behavior.

Regarding your question about 3DMax and C4D....
As a C4D user... especially during the pre-release phase of Corona for C4D, I noticed big differences in light calculation compared to Max.
But meanwhile... I would say they are minimal.
« Last Edit: 2019-05-31, 21:36:08 by Designerman77 »

2019-05-31, 17:26:56
Reply #4

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey TomG,

also AngeloFerretti´s works in C4D & Corona look really great... in my opinion.

2019-05-31, 17:55:31
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
TY! Yes there are a lot of great renderings out there, not all of which show up in the forum or on the FB groups - another one that comes to mind is https://corona-renderer.com/blog/whisky-galore-david-turfitts-work-in-cinema-4d/.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-05-31, 21:40:59
Reply #6

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom,

yes, cool work also at David Turfitt. Thanks for the link.

2019-06-01, 15:44:57
Reply #7

Nube architetture

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the links, I'd like to add :

https://www.instagram.com/madimagery/
https://www.behance.net/fmgraph

I have been following Angelo Ferretti from a while and i love his images.

Designerman77  "1. lighting, lighting and again lighting."

Totally agree, and thanks for the advice.
Anyone Knows Where can i study lights set up and composition for each situation (exterior, interior, natural light...and so on) ?

I mean some courses (online courses) or books...

In the images i posted, I've used really flat Hdri for the sky and Corona's sun, than Lightmix in post.

Bye

2019-06-01, 16:10:49
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Nube,

regarding HDRs, I prefer 360° HDRs, instead of those which have only the sky dome - especially if you don´t build up a whole 3D-vegetation surrounding.
Because the 360° will give you much more natural light colors in interiors ( and in general ), due to the ground surface (grass, etc.) that will reflect onto your walls.

Use HDR with a "moderate" sun position... not 12:00 mid-day... but something like 25° - 50°. So it will still generate enough energy into deep / long stretched rooms,
not only a hotspot near the windows.
Take HDRs with not too blue sky, but a balanced color, some haze and tender clouds, that diffuse the light. Of course you can apply a filter and tweak the colors or play in the camera settings, etc.
Play with the gamma of the HDR, if you want more contrast, color and sharper light/shadows... (reduce the gamma a bit).

Have a look at your rooms in reality... the "white" walls are actually totally colorful if there is some vegetation or buildings outside, that are not all grey... :)

One thing that I TOTALLY love about Corona light calculation: when light comes through a window, it will be split into spectral colors when it touches the edges of objects.
Sometimes you can see this quite clearly. This optical effect exists in reality - and especially in renders with lots of white walls & objects, this makes the scene look very natural and real.

Regarding your question, where one can study lighting techniques... I didn´t investigate that topic on the net so much...
But simply purchase some nice scenes... like from Angelo ( I don't know him personally, neither advertise for him ! ).
Study his lighting technique and try to develop your strategy out of it.

Some small "hints" from other experienced 3D artist are often enough.

2019-06-02, 01:10:03
Reply #9

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
IMO, there's just a couple of books worth knowing to understand theory (LIGHT for Visual Artists: Understanding & Using Light in Art & Design) & practice (The Third & The Seventh: From Bits to the Lens).

Then it's simply about doing it - let real photography & illustration be your Imaginary Muses! Since CGI is merely a virtual medium (transferring an image from mind into light & matter). It also helps to take art photography lessons, attend workshops, but foremost: "Communicate with surrounding by paying attention to detail." ;)