Author Topic: Have I been using corona wrong all this time? Srgb and rgb.  (Read 2648 times)

2018-08-13, 00:03:19

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been using corona since A4 and have tried to follow all the advice and tutorials along the way which are mainly max tutorials. Just recently we've been looking at max and corona for max. So a news flash for me has been that the 180 rgb for white walls in max is not the same as 180 (or 70% default material) in C4D. I had no idea max didn't just use srgb as well. Both c4d and max just show rgb in the colour selector. I realise max has the corona colour picker which is great for getting wysiwyg srgb colours but when the tutorials say you should use values like 180rgb for white walls that is actually 210rgb in c4d! Maybe everyone else knew this but I've been using 180 srgb for my whites.

Strangely enough when I use 180RGB (210 srgb) I find I get some strong burn outs and have to clamp quite a bit. I think there should be some clearer advice or highlighting of the differences between the rgb in max and c4d.

Cheers

2018-08-13, 10:49:25
Reply #1

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Regarding the white colour I have been corrected some time ago, that you should not max it out but instead keep around 75-80%. 85% for "super-white". Because everything above will make too strong white colour, hard to control.

2018-08-13, 13:53:02
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I think my concern is that I've been compensating too low as figures of 180 rgb are the standard recommendation but in c4d that translates to 210.

2018-08-13, 15:00:48
Reply #3

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for this Rhodesy, I've been doing aiming for the 180RGB too based on comments and tutorials from Max users. It'd be good to get some feedback from the dev's on this if you haven't had any already on your other thread?

2018-08-13, 18:04:37
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah at least it's not just me! I was feeling quite stupid. Yes I think some clarity from the devs would be good and then perhaps some solutions to stop others trying to transpose max to c4d tutorials and getting the wrong values.

My suggestion would be to add notes in the shader which is a good c4d feature for typical values. I think not many c4d users will twig that rgb in c4d and max are different by default. Or perhaps people doing the tuts should only use srgb as to me that's the better option as I relates to PS and you get the same colour you are expecting on screen.

2018-08-13, 21:56:50
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think in 3ds max it's even worse - its colour picker always was and is linear and only Corona users has luxury to choose between sRGB and RGB input.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures