Author Topic: Rough refraction in reflection acts strangely at values other than zero  (Read 415 times)

2024-05-03, 00:54:12

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Scene setup:

Metal ball, white diffuse. 0.0 Roughness
Box below, Frosted Glass material library preset
Corona light below the box.

When the metal ball has a roughness value of 0.0 then the reflections are correct. Anything higher and the frosted material almost disappears and the hotspot from the light is the only thing visible.
This doesnt happen with the corona physical frosted glass preset, only the legacy material.
« Last Edit: 2024-05-03, 10:40:19 by maru »

2024-05-03, 10:01:32
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

2024-05-03, 10:42:04
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If the bug only appears when using a Corona Legacy Material, then it means that it is already fixed in the Corona Physical Material.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-05-03, 10:50:55
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If the bug only appears when using a Corona Legacy Material, then it means that it is already fixed in the Corona Physical Material.

Would be a great idea to update the material library in that case, im sure its on your radar.

2024-05-03, 11:09:41
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, we would like to move the material library into Cosmos as soon as possible.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-05-03, 15:31:17
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As a note though, moving the CML to Cosmos won't involve the materials updating to the new Physical Material.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-05-03, 15:45:03
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think moving legacy materials from CML to Cosmos without converting them to physical, would be a crime.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-05-03, 16:11:51
Reply #7

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I think moving legacy materials from CML to Cosmos without converting them to physical, would be a crime.

Personally I think moving everything to Cosmos in general is a crime. Much prefer the UI of Corona Material Editor (although it is slow!), and importing from Cosmos always seems like a.... fragile process at best.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2024-05-03, 16:46:32
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There just isn't the peoplepower to convert them, it would take much manual intervention and thus delay work on other things, so the solution is just to move them onto Cosmos as they are. After all, we wouldn't be revisiting them in the CML to convert them to Physical either, even if not moving to Cosmos. Any time developing materials would be better spent making new ones, anyway :)

PS - the CML will still be there, initially like today as part of the install, but in the future as a separate manual download and install if you really want it.

2024-05-07, 23:44:33
Reply #9

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
PS - the CML will still be there, initially like today as part of the install, but in the future as a separate manual download and install if you really want it.

Im curious, do you track CML useage as part of the useage stats? Is it a minority of users that actually use it frequently?
I use it every day for starter/base materials but increasingly find myself using the presets in the physical material.
Is there a way to allow users to create their own physical material presets?

2024-05-08, 15:00:56
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not something that we currently track. Feel free to let us know here of course as to how often you make use of it, like you just did!

Good to hear the Phys Mat presets are doing a good job of being the base starting point for things for you, definitely what we hoped for and intended.

There's no plan at the moment to allow for the creation of your own Physical Material presets (but you know the drill with feature requests lol ;) ). There is a plan to allow custom Cosmos assets, perhaps this year (so Corona 13 for us), which if plans and intentions over on the Cosmos dev side come to pass, will mean being able to add objects, materials, etc. of your own into Cosmos. We'd have to wait and see if that happens, and what it looks like / how it works when it does :)

2024-05-14, 16:30:30
Reply #11

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not something that we currently track. Feel free to let us know here of course as to how often you make use of it, like you just did!

Good to hear the Phys Mat presets are doing a good job of being the base starting point for things for you, definitely what we hoped for and intended.

There's no plan at the moment to allow for the creation of your own Physical Material presets (but you know the drill with feature requests lol ;) ). There is a plan to allow custom Cosmos assets, perhaps this year (so Corona 13 for us), which if plans and intentions over on the Cosmos dev side come to pass, will mean being able to add objects, materials, etc. of your own into Cosmos. We'd have to wait and see if that happens, and what it looks like / how it works when it does :)

Good to know thanks Tom! Ill definitely drop in a request for adding custom physical presets because it would be very useful to not have to deal with the max material libraries.