Author Topic: Filtering "Pyramidal" vs "None" in opacity channel: performace and quality?  (Read 12671 times)

2013-05-18, 19:23:58

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Hi,

as we know, in VRay, we must to use "None" in the opacity map filtering for shaders like foliage.
Is it the same for Corona? There is some "performance boost" by using "None" as Filtering?
« Last Edit: 2013-05-18, 19:57:59 by cecofuli »

2013-05-18, 19:46:14
Reply #1

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Now filtering does not work very well, so do not know whether the increase in productivity.
You can try to use the refraction with IOR = 1 instead of opacity.
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-05-18, 19:53:38
Reply #2

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, do you suggest me, for foliagefor example, to put B/W map in refraction channel with IOR = 1.0?
This remember me VRay when it hasn't the opacity channel =)

2013-05-18, 20:18:29
Reply #3

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
So, do you suggest me, for foliagefor example, to put B/W map in refraction channel with IOR = 1.0?
try it and compare with opacity :)

2013-05-18, 20:22:32
Reply #4

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-05-18, 20:24:00
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Now filtering does not work very well, so do not know whether the increase in productivity.
You can try to use the refraction with IOR = 1 instead of opacity.
Do NOT do this. If you ever get better result with this, report it as a bug.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-05-18, 20:41:18
Reply #6

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Strangely, in the forum many times it is advised to do so!
Especially in the tulle material.
Keymaster right now opaсity faster, but maybe before it runs slow.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-18, 21:05:38 by Polymax »

2013-05-18, 22:29:31
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
if so, then it was a bug. You should have reported it, not circumvented it ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-10-22, 21:09:52
Reply #8

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Look at the quality (passes), the noise in the white BG and, of course, the rendering... It looks like the old, V-Ray problem (or tips).
Obviously, the best solution is with "none" as filtering.

« Last Edit: 2013-10-22, 21:37:48 by cecofuli »

2013-10-23, 08:51:56
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I always set filtering to none for opacity map...  always. It is not just a vray problem, it works like that for every renderer i know...

2013-10-23, 09:57:56
Reply #10

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I always set filtering to none for opacity map...  always. It is not just a vray problem, it works like that for every renderer i know...
Slight tangent:

modo has a texture mode called "stencil" which is either on or off. Even if you use texture filtering, it will still never cause any semi-transparency.

Also, if you want to achieve the same effect in Max, it's actually really simple: Just plug the texture into an Output layer, and remap the Output like the attached image shows.

2013-10-23, 11:01:32
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
in theory, there shold not be a problem with filtered texture. Please upload the scene, I'll take a look at it

2013-10-23, 11:06:15
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Also, if you want to achieve the same effect in Max, it's actually really simple: Just plug the texture into an Output layer, and remap the Output like the attached image shows.

Isn't this the same as setting filtering to none?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-10-23, 11:06:56
Reply #14

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Slight tangent:

modo has a texture mode called "stencil" which is either on or off. Even if you use texture filtering, it will still never cause any semi-transparency.

That is the problem...  in Max, no matter if you clamp the texture or not, as long as you have filtering enabled, it will still be filtering texture at a distance and blurring it, so it will always result in a lot of small overlapping semi-transparencies. So if you have correct opacity map (white and black is absolute), then you need to disable filtering for opacity maps. If you clamp it the way you did, but keep filtering enabled, then it is not going to help you much....