Author Topic: Dual Monitor  (Read 3408 times)

2023-11-28, 15:03:35
Reply #15

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Well if you ask me then yes, it is worth getting :) It offers the space and resolution of 2x 27 screens but without the bezel in the middle. On top of that you get more than just sRGB gamut and 120hz. So lots of things to like imho.

That said I would still be cautios about a couple of things:

- Height. If you're used to 32" then remember this'll be like going back to a 27" screen in terms of height. Important consideration if you like... Height :) I noticed it but didn't think it was a deal breaker for me.

- It is a VA screen so viewing angles are more limited than on say an IPS display. For me personally it was never a problem and I like to sit quite up close to the thing (less than an arm length away) but if you're susceptible to the gamma shift like that then yes it might not be for you.

Partly why it was less noticeable for me is imho because whatever was important to be viewed was always in the center so even if there is a slight gamma shift on the browser I have docked to the side... I didn't really care.

Also, because it VA there is some black smearing happening on certain type of content. Probably not at all important unless you are a gamer and hate it.

- Curve to me is epic. Really like it and it never interfered with my work. Straight lines were straight regardless of the curve and if it was even more curvier I don't think I'd mind it. If you ever go back to a less curvy screen be prepared for the fisheye effect though lol. Anyway, curve isn't for everyone but I personally really liked it.

- I think one thing you'll need to get used to, if you go the 49" route is that you'll want to use PowerToys or something similar. Specifically the "Fancy zones" part of PowerToys. With it you'll set "zones" on your screen so that when you f.e hold shift and drag a browser window it will snap into a "quadrant" of your screen. What I did was I had C4D / 3ds Max / PS / Affinity / Resolve always on the middle of the screen. It was wider than a 27" screen. Then whatever was left on the sides I split into vertical halves - so Slack f.e was top right, Google Chat bottom right, left was typically browser space.

It takes some getting used to imho but once I got used to it I never felt like it was problematic.

What is problematic is Windows sometimes forgetting what size your app was when you closed it. So you have to move the app back into that mid space once you've closed it and reopened it. Not a big deal just annoying. Same with video players opening up full screen basically. Ugh.

All that said, and this might come off funny because I'm giving you a recommendation for the screen basically but I am currently not using it anymore. My SO got it :)

The reason I changed it (for a 40" LG) is the resolution. 5120x1440 on a 49" is like 2560x1440 on a 27" screen which is great for most people apparently. For me though, it kinda wasn't. I noticed, after 2-3 years of usage, that I started getting quite a bit of eye fatigue trying to read text (especially when it was smaller). The text was always just a tiny bit fuzzy and even though I wear glasses when I work I noticed that shit :) My SO, and she has perfection vision, didn't. We literally did a side by side comparison with my laptop screen (high DPI given the fact it is small) and she did not notice any meaningful difference in text quality. I did.

So after 2-3 years I switched to a 40" LG that has a resolution of 5120x2160. For me, it makes reading a lot easier because its basically a 4k 32" screen (I can't remember exactly but it might even have a bit more DPI than a 4k 32"). And I do mean it is a lot easier for me :)

Now yes the 40" LG has only 72hz (but not 60, haha!) but I quite like it as well. It is an IPS screen and I guess there is less of a gamma shift on the edges. Not really noticing it tbh. Besides that I still use Fancy Zones and honestly, I'm a fan of both screens :) Maybe I'm just to easy to impress lol.

Hope the wall of text is helpful. Sure took me time to write it, ha! :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us