Author Topic: I don't understand how corona saves files/images...  (Read 729 times)

2023-01-25, 08:49:17

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
Ever since I started using corona, saving images has been a pain in the butt.
For me, saving happens under the common tab, that's how f-storm and other renders do it. (Vray has its own way, probably superior)
So I choose a destination for my files, and I count on my files being there in the morning. Great.
This morning I woke up, turned off the file saving in the common tab, and then did a re-render of a selection in the viewport. But, for some reason, it overwrote all my files that have rendered the previous night, resulting in a missed deadline.
How come it works like this? The only reason I can think of is that saving is also turned on for the render elements?? Why does this not turn off when I tick off the box in the common tab?
Why do I have to individually turn off saving for every single pass in the render elements tab?

EDIT: I found a script that removes the save path for all render elements, so you get rid of those annoying pop-ups when those paths no longer exist. https://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/delete-render-elements-output-path

« Last Edit: 2023-03-22, 12:40:45 by Maybejensen »
MAYBEJENSEN I Working on something I  Ryzen 3950x / RTX 3080

2023-01-25, 09:15:15
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi,

How come it works like this? The only reason I can think of is that saving is also turned on for the render elements??

Yes, elements have a dedicated setting ("Elements Active" in Render Elements tab, you can switch them on/off at once there). And this is how Max behaves, Corona just uses the Max output.

If you want to be sure that no files are written, use the "Iterative Rendering Mode", see

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/3DSMax-Rendering/files/GUID-BE358D30-AB74-4AE3-81DF-0BA3908065C3-htm.html

It's my usual render mode while preparing/testing a scene, however Corona currently violates that mode by (over)writing light cache files - already reported.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-01-25, 17:53:39
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That sounds like a 3ds Max issue. All (almost all?) file saving is handled by 3ds Max.

Corona also has its own autosave system (Render Setup > System > System settings) - this can be helpful when dealing with deadlines and risk of losing progress/overwriting.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us