Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] Daily Builds

Mac M1 LOW POWER MODE bug lives on.

<< < (17/18) > >>

lamfadel:
I bought m1 and here are the results in the rendering of one scene.
It's very slow...
My iMac 2020 is faster...
The old i7 makes 16 threads and renders the same scene twice as fast!!!
The new M1 Max has 10 threads…

Stefan-L:
not sure where the data shows the speed, number threads etc not show any about speed.
but overall:

the intel i7 has hyper-threading, so shows 16 threads but they are actually only 8 real ones.

the m1 has different cores, where as far i know not all are made for the same tasks, there are very specialized ones included. some are for have tasks like rendering, some for other tasks, or for light things, video encoding, or to save electricity/battery etc., so maybe i woudl not be even sure if it would be actually correct that all m1 cores are all time at 100% while rendering, i woudl expect only the one suited for render like tasks?

for me in some tests the m1/2 macs feel nice fast at GUI, and 2d graphics, video editing  etc, but not so in any 3d cpu app. Not sure if this is by missing optimization yet or by design of the chips.

Philw:
Yep a 16 core iMac is absolutely going to be faster than a 10 core M1. M1 is good but not magic :-(

YURII:
Im rendering now on same M1 Max and I dont see a difference in CPU load while looking at Activity Monitor in both - low and high mode. I think latest Apple updates did something, could be? Can anyone confirm it?

habber:

--- Quote from: YURII on 2023-05-16, 23:09:06 ---Im rendering now on same M1 Max and I dont see a difference in CPU load while looking at Activity Monitor in both - low and high mode. I think latest Apple updates did something, could be? Can anyone confirm it?

--- End quote ---

Hi,

I just stumbled upon this post as I discovered this issue by chance. Just been testing it and I am still experiencing this issue.

Another interesting fact I found out today is that render times vary significantly between Corona 10 and Corona 9 in my case (M1 Max 64GB on Ventura 13.5.2) I only recently updated to Corona 10 and was shocked by significantly higher Rays/s total, literally like up 5 to 10 times more rays/s depending (at first I was even thinking that I am miscounting the zeros lol) on the scene but surprisingly at the same time about half the absolute render times - very strange.

Just "downgraded" back to Corona 9 and even though it shows me lower rays/s my render times are split in half. Guess I'll stick with good old Corona 9 :)

The problem with lowpower vs highpower still continues though but in my case the difference is something I can live with. I never really realized because I was so happy with render times in general :)

Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version