Author Topic: Intel 5..30% slowdown due to security bug fix..  (Read 4209 times)

2018-01-03, 10:26:35

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile

2018-01-04, 09:09:28
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Most of the major players just released their official statements yesterday, before that there was a bunch of speculation.

As I've gathered from a few sources this won't affect stuff that doesn't access the deep end of the OS so things like video editing, rendering, gaming should be ok. Anything with running virtualization, server stuff... Thats potentially going to see some performance dips.

Thats how I understood it anyway :)

edit: Early tests at Guru3D show that apparently it isn't a big deal for most workload :)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-04, 18:03:30 by nkilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-01-04, 23:22:49
Reply #2

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would love to hear some insights from the devs and other users. Regarding rendering and daily 3d/video work. I have to admit: right now, I am bit frightened. I spent 1000,-€ on a beefy Intel CPU for my current WS and I just can't stand the idea, that after the update: Hey, it's 30% slower, but now it's safe!

2018-01-06, 07:47:28
Reply #3

Mattschia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Render Atelier Ltd
I would not worry about this. There are already some reviews testing the performance degradation after the patch and everyone agrees the difference is around 1-2% or none. Only in storage benchmark we can reach 5% but in real life scenario it will be unnoticeable. The issue will affect the big players, not us, luckly.

2018-01-07, 15:22:35
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I would love to hear some insights from the devs and other users. Regarding rendering and daily 3d/video work. I have to admit: right now, I am bit frightened. I spent 1000,-€ on a beefy Intel CPU for my current WS and I just can't stand the idea, that after the update: Hey, it's 30% slower, but now it's safe!
A dev's perspective? the idea of the exploit is beautiful and simple ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-01-07, 15:34:21
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Simple? I'm not an aexpert by any means, but from what i've read on the internet, i got impression, that it's really hard to get something useful from that exploit? Or maybe that was just a smoke cover to prevent mass panic spreading across PC users? :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-01-07, 16:33:38
Reply #6

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yep exploit works only if you run program with virus what almost impossible

2018-01-07, 21:59:00
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
The exploit is conceptually simple. I mean, I would be probably able to implement it.

What it (meltdown, spectre is a bit different) allows you to do is to read ALL system memory, including memory of other applications and of OS kernel. Of course this is useless for attacker in a scenario where you use your computer just by yourself and work under user with admin privileges (then an application can already do that, maybe with one tiny UAC prompt 80% users would click "allow" on).

But it is devastating in multiple-user environments and in virtualization/cloud. You could read stuff from other people's accounts, admin passwords, ... Also, somebody already implemented the principle in javascript, so now websites can read memory from your browser including stored sessions for your other websites and your passwords (until you upgrade your browser to get fix, that is)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-01-07, 22:24:18
Reply #8

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will be this implemented in corona 2.0? =D