Author Topic: Corona Scatter  (Read 13893 times)

2015-05-10, 22:49:55

jagger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Nautilo
Like the 3ds max, will be in maya?

pleeeeaasseeeeee

2015-05-11, 10:21:21
Reply #1

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, it will be called XGen ;)

2015-05-11, 14:20:08
Reply #2

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Agreed! Learn xgen, it's very powerful.
Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-08-17, 02:00:02
Reply #3

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Until I can paint live proxies with xgen, I'm sticking with sppaint3d...  I've created a scene with around 600 millions polygons (if I remember correctly...) of vegetation for a tv show with it, vines and trees all scattered among towers of apartments.  It really made the job we had to do possible.

I use it all the time for vegetation in my scenes, you just have to force display bounding boxes or proxy boxes and you can scatter hundred of millions of polys on the fly - as instances or copies : )
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-08-18, 14:00:39
Reply #4

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow? Really? I always found translation times to slow down very large with many instances in Maya. I read somewhere it is an unfortunate flaw in the way which nodes work in Maya. Maybe it got better
Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-08-18, 23:06:26
Reply #5

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We had to use several tricks to optimize the scene, split the scene in references, work with instances.  Our biggest problem was to work efficiently in the viewport.  Viewport 2.0 was our biggest problem throughout this scene production.  If it was selected when opening the scene we could wait 15 minutes just to open the maya file, and at some point we were not able to open the scene at all with viewport 2.0.  Since we were working on other scenes that relied on viewport 2.0 feedback (glyph projections), it has been a nightmare to work with this scene only because of viewport issues.

My vegetation was on a display layer that had a bounding box display override that I could toggle on and off when I needed to place things, and the scene was modelled in a half-cylinder manner that I instanced at the end.  Because we were working with references for all the parts of the scene, we could unload and load at will, freeing ressources on the computer when working on a particular task..

Here is wip of one section of the shot.  The end result was not as good as I was hoping but this kind of shot with tv deadlines can get crazy lol..

Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-08-19, 13:56:11
Reply #6

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
RickToxik, what version of Maya were you using? Because in 2016 VP2.0 is the default viewport, and the old viewport is now called legacy so I bet it will disappear in some releases, so if the VP2.0 performance is bad you should commiunicate it to autodesk via bug report or something similar.

Cool scene anyways, TV deadlines are always crazy :)

Cheers!

2015-08-19, 18:13:04
Reply #7

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That was with Maya 2015, yeah the v2.0 is already the default - I did not know they were going to remove it from Maya though.  I am pretty sure that they are aware of the viewport 2.0 limitations and potential long load times, since it relies on GPU for refreshing...  Yeah maybe you're right I should probably flag this to Autodesk, but at the same time, huge scenes are common in maya, so probably many people have experienced "viewport 2.0 Processing...." issues.  Thanks for your kind comments : )
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-08-20, 00:45:29
Reply #8

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That was with Maya 2015, yeah the v2.0 is already the default - I did not know they were going to remove it from Maya though.

I'm not saying they are going to do that, just that they probably will do that, if now it's called legacy, then usually the legacy parts of the software gets removed after one or two releases, this is based in my experience with SDK's and such things, in other packages the lagacy is eternal hahaha

Did you try 2016 with that scene? VP2 has been improved A LOT, and maya performance in general with the new evaluations graphs and the help of the GPU.

Cheers.

2015-08-20, 14:27:34
Reply #9

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nope, haven't tried Maya 2016 yet.  For this particular scene I was talking about, it would have filled any current normal GPU configuration.  I really like VP2, and I agree that they improve it a lot with every new edition.  I guess it would be wise to always keep a non-GPU fallback solution for viewport display though.  Even the Corona team is a little bit reticent to rely on gpu hehe.  But seriously, I use VP2 all the time, it's just that it became clear in our scene that is was a huge bottleneck.
Maya 2016, windows 10

2015-08-24, 01:21:53
Reply #10

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
NIce scene Rick. Thanks for writing, it was a good read.

With 2016 I notice it is faster with VP2. So maybe there is hope.

They also had a new trick with VP2 and textures called parallel loading. Basically it doesn't work for me,  but in their demos it shows the textures loading while the user is working with the scene so you can do two things at once and not have to wait until the textures are loading before working with the scene. Not sure if they sped up the loading of just geo only (which sounds like your issue) but allegedly textures was supposed to load faster although this didn't work for me on a quadro. VP2 is painful to work with but it will be a lot better in the long run.
Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-08-24, 14:05:52
Reply #11

RickToxik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool!  Can't wait to try Maya Creative Cloud soon!  ; )
Maya 2016, windows 10