Author Topic: DR server as service  (Read 4158 times)

2020-05-28, 10:39:34

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. I'm running DR server as service on a dozen machines. The nodes connects fine and everything seems to work as expected render wise. My problem is that I can only see the nodes name in the frame buffer, but no info of RAM usage or specific task the node is doing. It just says "rendering" and "-- / --".
Is there a solution/workaround to this problem apart running the DR server manually?

2020-05-28, 11:09:51
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Usually it makes zero difference regarding the additional slave info if DrServer runs as service or not. But what's important is, that the master 3dsmax process is the first or only one on the master. If you have a max open, start another and you use this second instance to render DR you will get not slave info in cVFB.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-05-28, 11:36:10
Reply #2

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I didn't quite understand your answer? I'd like to have the additional slave info as when running the DR slave manually, so I can see what the slave is doing at any given time plus the RAM usage on that particular slave.

2020-05-28, 11:42:30
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I think I got that right. The question here is: are you running one max session or multiple ones? Because in only the first started 3ds Max session you will get that information.

Good Luck

2020-05-28, 11:57:13
Reply #4

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm running 1 max session on a workstation, and DR server service on 10 render nodes.

2020-05-28, 13:07:56
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Well, then this is more a bug report or something for the need help section because as mentioned: it usually works. So please provide at least basic information: Corona + Max + Windows version. Additionally: Have you been using the Helpdesk script to install the service? Or the other way round: which user runs the service? Is it "system"? Have you tried temporarily disabling the firewall(s) on one slave and the master to test?

Good Luck

2020-05-28, 13:37:39
Reply #6

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm using Corona 5 hf 2, 3ds Max 2021, Windows 10 pro (Build 18363). I've installed the service on all machines through the helpdesk provided .bat files, and additionally the service is set to run with a dedicated administrator user that is same on all machines. The are no errors in the DE logs, and the service registers fine with the FairSaas credentials. As I mentioned, everything works fine except I'm not getting any status report in the master CFB. Will attach screenshots to better describe the issue. 
« Last Edit: 2020-05-28, 15:07:45 by kingmax »

2020-05-28, 15:27:40
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Have you tested

1. switching off firewall(s) temporarily on one slave + master?
2. running the DrServer service on that slave using "Local system account" instead of your dedicated account as user?

Good Luck

2020-05-28, 15:41:36
Reply #8

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Firewall is off on all machines. UAC is completely disabled. That user account is the only user account present on each system and it's in fact the local system account.

2020-05-28, 15:56:58
Reply #9

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
So it looks like this?

Good Luck

2020-05-28, 16:38:29
Reply #10

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No, it does not. Using the local system account results in a connection error, and the DR is not working. It's kind of expected. Using a dedicated system account is a habit from Backburner and V-ray, but it applies here as well. Funny thing is that if I remotely connect to any of the DR and manually restart the service, then it is showing all the data in the master machine, but after a system reboot (DR) , the behavior is back.

2020-05-28, 19:00:51
Reply #11

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Using the local system account results in a connection error, and the DR is not working. It's kind of expected.

Hmm, not really. In fact it should work like that. I'm running backburner server as a dedicated user, but DRServer as system account service and it works flawlessly. I suspect a missing activation here (avoidable by using the corona license server).

Funny thing is that if I remotely connect to any of the DR and manually restart the service, then it is showing all the data in the master machine, but after a system reboot (DR) , the behavior is back.

Ah, ok. Then you could try to set it to delayed start, see image.

Good Luck

2020-05-28, 21:57:17
Reply #12

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah. My next try was that with the delayed start, but I doubt it will change anything.

2020-05-29, 10:08:45
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Logged in our internal tracker and will investigate. Once I have some findings, I will share them here.
(Internal ID=512734803)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-05-29, 11:55:27
Reply #14

kingmax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Logged in our internal tracker and will investigate. Once I have some findings, I will share them here.
(Internal ID=512734803)

Thanky. I've tried running the Licensing server as service as well, but the issue is still there.