Author Topic: The new Corona Converter feedback thread  (Read 65162 times)

2022-10-21, 14:52:43
Reply #150

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

may I ask you - where can I found some detailed information about vray materials and vray texture nodes which are supported (and not) by corona converter ?

Sorry for the delay, but I hope "better late than never" makes sense in this case.
I have logged this question for the devs to review and will share all the information here once I have it.

(Internal id=984968424)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-10-22, 23:23:03
Reply #151

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay, but I hope "better late than never" makes sense in this case.
I have logged this question for the devs to review and will share all the information here once I have it.

(Internal id=984968424)

Hello Maru,

thanks for your reply.
Don't worry about delaying, I totally understand how much stress it can be in time of releasing a new version.

This question is still (and will be) actual for me and, I presume, for many other users who need a quick more technical overview of Corona Converter possibilities too.
I think, it would be great to have this in corona docks: https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Converter

I'll be waiting for the answer.

Best regards.

2022-11-07, 03:07:46
Reply #152

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru,

Is there plans to convert 3dsmaxs Physical material to Corona? I receive a lot of sketchup models and on import they using the Physical material.
« Last Edit: 2022-11-23, 05:56:32 by Javadevil »

2022-11-07, 04:10:25
Reply #153

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-11-07, 10:54:56
Reply #154

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
+1 although Max physical material should render just fine in Corona, i see no reason to not convert it to Corona physical.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-11-15, 14:11:09
Reply #155

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello Maru,

thanks for your reply.
Don't worry about delaying, I totally understand how much stress it can be in time of releasing a new version.

This question is still (and will be) actual for me and, I presume, for many other users who need a quick more technical overview of Corona Converter possibilities too.
I think, it would be great to have this in corona docks: https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Converter

I'll be waiting for the answer.

Best regards.

Hi, I have added a list at https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Converter

Please let me know if it works for you. :)
I will also see if we can update the list in the converter script itself, or just link to the docs.

2022-11-22, 21:43:08
Reply #156

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I have added a list at https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Converter

Please let me know if it works for you. :)
I will also see if we can update the list in the converter script itself, or just link to the docs.

Hello Maru,

many thanks for your work ! now we can clearly see what is currently supported and what is not. Really good and compact overview.

Best regards

2023-03-03, 10:23:36
Reply #157

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
+1000 for max physical > corona physical. Anyone who imports revit/skp/anything needs this to work in corona converter as a one-stop-shop :) Please! :D
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2023-03-03, 17:18:32
Reply #158

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have the Autodesk Physical Mtl conversion feature request logged.

(Internal ID=484645635)

2023-04-19, 03:35:58
Reply #159

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We have the Autodesk Physical Mtl conversion feature request logged.

(Internal ID=484645635)
Thanks Maru I look forward to it.

2023-06-21, 12:08:02
Reply #160

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Corona Renderer team,

I would like to share some additional observations that I hadn't noticed before while using the Corona Converter in the simplest mode, "convert everything."
For points 1 and 2, I have uploaded an image. Please see it in the attachment to this post.

1. Sometimes it is necessary to convert materials while having the original scene materials side by side. To achieve this, I make copy of them in slate material editor and attempt to convert the copy using the last option, "selected material editor slot only." However, it turns out that this option is only working in the compact material editor. Why?
The compact material editor is very outdated and has many limitations. Most users haven't been using it for many years.

Unfortunately, there is currently no information available about this in the tooltip, so it took a considerable amount of time to discover the reason. It would be very helpful (and even logical) if this option also worked in the slate material editor.

2. In the converter, there is also an option to show or hide texture display in the viewport for selected objects. Unfortunately, this function rarely works in the converter, unlike its counterpart in 3ds Max itself, where you can globally make visible or hide textures in viewport.

3. While converting and checking scenes and objects, I also came across an important missing feature.
Since Corona is compatible with basic Vray materials, sometimes in a large Corona scene, a certain number of models with Vray shaders are lost. It would be very useful to have a "select objects without Corona shaders" function in Corona Converter. Perhaps there is currently a workaround for this? I would be grateful for any tipps.

Best Regards
« Last Edit: 2023-06-21, 12:12:23 by brr »

2023-07-11, 21:14:36
Reply #161

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
WHEN WILL THE CONVERTER WORK PROPERLY???

It's broken and almost unusable for years.
I understand that it's not easy to handle old/wrong materials setup from many sources, but if you can't do anything, just bring back the legacy converter as an option because it used to work like a charm.
At least, please make the "force non-metal" option work as it should. The materials always be converted to metal even if it is selected.

Also, the "convert CoronaLegacyMtl" should be disabled by default. (who wants to convert CoronaLegacy if not necessary?)
It will ruin the scene that has a bunch of models with shit legacy material setup if you forget to check the convert selected objects only option.

OR change the convert selected objects only as a default.
OR just add an option to save settings

cheers,

2023-07-12, 09:04:49
Reply #162

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1000 for max physical > corona physical. Anyone who imports revit/skp/anything needs this to work in corona converter as a one-stop-shop :) Please! :D

In the mean time you can use the script I made that converts Autodesk Physical to Corona Physical in this post here:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31214.msg214027#msg214027

Its fairly basic but covers Diffuse, Glossiness, Roughness, Normal, Metal, Non-Metal, Opacity at the moment.

Also I have a version I'm tinkering I can release this week that now changes the Advanced option to use Glossiness if using Glossiness workflow (instead of inverting the Roughness with a color correction node, I wasnt aware of this while making it). It also will support Displacement, IOR, Anistrophy, Emission/Self Illumination.

I just made it since I already have a few scripts I made that do similar things so figured it might help you out until the official release by the Corona team. 

2023-07-12, 10:34:54
Reply #163

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@James Vella, maybe it's worth creating new topic in the user contribution board? Especially if you have plans to continue development of the script. Honestly, judging by the amount of users requesting physical to Corona material conversion, i think your effort deserves a lot more attention than it got so far.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-07-12, 12:04:01
Reply #164

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@James Vella, maybe it's worth creating new topic in the user contribution board?

Sure if it helps. I didnt want to create a 3rd thread about it and bog down the forum but since you moderate this place I can do that if you think its best.

Especially if you have plans to continue development of the script. Honestly, judging by the amount of users requesting physical to Corona material conversion, i think your effort deserves a lot more attention than it got so far.

Not sure if I plan on developing it further but just wanted to help out for the time being and give myself a little project to work on. All the code is in .ms format so you can copy/paste, change, learn from it, whatever to suit your own workflow.

Also happy to hear some feedback about its real-world use since I'm just doing what I think would be useful but I dont actually ever use Autodesk Physical materials so I'm just pushing buttons =D
« Last Edit: 2023-07-12, 12:08:39 by James Vella »