Author Topic: Adaptive enviro sampler playground!  (Read 23543 times)

2020-02-24, 11:58:04
Reply #30

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi rowmanns,
i am uploading the file "test_r2020.zip" using your alternative  uploader dropbox, the file is 400MB.
in half an hour i think will finish.

2020-02-24, 12:49:18
Reply #31

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Thanks, I have the file. We will investigate.

(Internal ID=468671689)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-02-24, 16:32:51
Reply #32

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
(Internal ID=468671689)

we can check the evolution with that ID or verify if will be solved?

2020-02-24, 17:09:53
Reply #33

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
(Internal ID=468671689)

we can check the evolution with that ID or verify if will be solved?

That's our internal tracker, accessible only to Corona staff. But we will notify you about any news. Promise!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-02-24, 18:30:06
Reply #34

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's our internal tracker, accessible only to Corona staff. But we will notify you about any news. Promise!
Thank you maru.

Hi rowmanns,
i hope this can help the staff:
- if you use coronabitmap for the hdri the problem disappears, the new solver work as expected and better tha the old one
- using the stadard bitmap as hdri you had to set it as enviromet and mapped "spherical envioment", also in this case the problem disappears, the new solver work as expected and better tha the old one

2020-02-24, 20:44:10
Reply #35

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
- using the stadard bitmap as hdri you had to set it as enviromet and mapped "spherical envioment", also in this case the problem disappears, the new solver work as expected and better tha the old one

Hm, but that's the only correct way to use HDRI map in enviroment. If you're using any other than spherical mapping, then you're getting incorrect results, no matter what solver or renderer is used.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-02-24, 20:52:29
Reply #36

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you are rigth romullus,
the misundestandig was that i am using the same condition and i expected same result, but evidently is not so linear.

2020-02-25, 09:17:58
Reply #37

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In our internal tests I unplugged the environment map from render setup > scene and plugged it into the 3ds Max environment slot (8 key). As far as I remember, it was a Corona Bitmap, and it rendered identically with the new and old sampler in terms of lighting and brightness, and the new sampler gave better quality (less noise) as expected.
As Romullus explained, setting a bitmap to spherical mapping is the only way to make it work correctly as environment lighting.
The difference is that any Corona Bitmap will be automatically interpreted as spherical by default when it's used as environment, and a 3ds Max bitmap can use whatever setting you enable, even UVW mapping.

2020-02-25, 09:55:33
Reply #38

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes maru, I did other tests with the correct setting of the hdri and everything works correctly

2020-02-28, 15:19:13
Reply #39

enrico.lapponi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First test, with daylight, using the new Adaptive Sampler! There are definitely major improvements! Both images are rendered with Corona 6, I just changed the Environment Sampler, render time 10 mins.
With the new sampler, the noise level reaches a lower amount with fewer samples and it seems to bring more light inside. There are some fireflies, mainly in the shadows areas (under the coffee table and the sofa), that are not visible with the old sampler (NormalDep Compensated).
3D Artist / R&D Manager @ State of Art in Venice, Italy

2020-03-02, 11:04:47
Reply #40

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
First test, with daylight, using the new Adaptive Sampler! There are definitely major improvements! Both images are rendered with Corona 6, I just changed the Environment Sampler, render time 10 mins.
With the new sampler, the noise level reaches a lower amount with fewer samples and it seems to bring more light inside. There are some fireflies, mainly in the shadows areas (under the coffee table and the sofa), that are not visible with the old sampler (NormalDep Compensated).
Hi,

Thanks for testing out the new sampler, would you be able to send over your scene? We want to look into the cause of the fireflies.

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2020-03-02, 12:21:45
Reply #41

enrico.lapponi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure, no problem!
I'm uploading the scene through Dropbox, the name of the file is "corona_v06_20022020_adaptive_sampler.zip"
Cheers,

Enrico
3D Artist / R&D Manager @ State of Art in Venice, Italy

2020-03-17, 13:34:36
Reply #42

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure, no problem!
I'm uploading the scene through Dropbox, the name of the file is "corona_v06_20022020_adaptive_sampler.zip"
Cheers,

Enrico

(Internal ID=472230305)
Send me your scene!

2020-03-18, 15:33:44
Reply #43

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Update: method 2 is not valid any more. The only solution is to use 2 separate versions of Corona (5 and the newest 6 daily). I have also added a guide how to quickly swap between two versions in the original post (this: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000066819)

2020-04-17, 10:31:44
Reply #44

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The fireflies were fixed in the latest DB (2020-04-16). Please let me know if you still experience the issue.

Rowan
Send me your scene!