Author Topic: Double reflections on glass  (Read 7778 times)

2018-06-21, 12:05:01

Andrew_G

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there:)

I`m just trying to move from vray to Corona, but I stucked with this strange glass problem. I have some bottles that I need to render. Light setup is straight forward:
back light with some gradient
strong left light with gradient
right weaker light with some gradient

And there goes my bottles with very strange double reflections, that looks very weird. Can you give me a hint, what to do to make this glass look more clear?
I want to put inside this bottles some liquid, but when I do that, number of reflections increases and all is looking more and more strange...

2018-06-21, 12:35:44
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Not sure if this is going to help you but are you making sure your liquid intersects with the glass? https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515618-how-to-model-a-liquid-in-glass-in-corona-

Also, in V-Ray you need to enable "reflect on back side" in order to see the reflections on the inner side of the bottle. It is disabled by default but its more "correct" to have it enabled.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-06-21, 12:37:01
Reply #2

Andrew_G

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, yes. That was teh first thing I checked:)

2018-06-21, 13:19:25
Reply #3

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hmm, are the normals pointing in the right directions too?
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-06-21, 13:30:20
Reply #4

Andrew_G

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, yes they are. Unfortunately, because I cant find any more obvoius problems, and these strange reflections are still there...

2018-06-21, 14:15:15
Reply #5

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Firstly, there is no need to activate the diffuse channel for glass. Corona will render just fine without it. As for the double reflection, Is this not how it would be in real life?
« Last Edit: 2018-06-21, 17:34:26 by beanzvision »
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2018-06-21, 16:31:41
Reply #6

Andrew_G

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Firstly, there is no need to activate the diffuse channel for glass. Corona will render just fine without it. As for the double reflection, Is this not how it would be in real life?

Thank you. It looks quite ok, but if you will remove absorption from liquid (as for example in mineral water), those ugly reflection will start to show up. I noticed that absorption with colour is reducing all this reflections, but without any volumetrics it will start looking as in my pictures.

2018-06-21, 16:35:43
Reply #7

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
I think double reflections are perfectly natural...

2018-06-21, 17:32:59
Reply #8

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
This is another one without volumetric water, just refraction no reflection.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2018-06-22, 08:15:32
Reply #9

Andrew_G

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks you guys for help. I tweaked this bottle a little, and I managed to get more or less good results. It turns out that turning on caustics and adding some absorption should make glass materials a lot better... a bit slower tough, but as for my first glass object in corona, I`m quite happy with the result:)

2018-06-22, 16:07:47
Reply #10

hdri3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi very nice result you can make available the c4d file of the scene so the community can enjoy the result thanks

2018-06-22, 19:04:04
Reply #11

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Seems like your liquid doesn't penetrate the glass.

2018-06-28, 14:15:14
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Internal reflections are actually accurate. In V-Ray (at least some older versions), this option is disabled by default.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-03, 18:17:29
Reply #13

NOOKTA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.nookta.de
Hi guys,

I know this is an older thread but it actually is exactly what I need help with right now.

I'm looking to create a glass panel, that also shows reflections on the backside (as in Vray checkbox). I'm attaching some snapshots and a scene of my current setup, without the HDRI (too big). Some notes for the snapshots:

• left selection is two planes / 2cm offset / normals outwards
  • middle selection is two planes / 2cm offset / normals same direction, towards camera
  • right selection is box/sheet of glass, no flipped normals

Material is created from scratch, disabled diffuse and only checked/unchecked the "thin (no refraction)" checkbox.

What I want is to see reflections on backsides, so the reflection of any second plane/box should be a little offset, right?

I'm also attaching the Vray example. And I already checked this link: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515622-how-to-set-up-realistic-glass-metal-materials

I hope you understand and can help me with this!

Corona Version: 5.0
Cinema version: R21.207 Cinema 4D (single-license)

Best,

Ararat

www.nookta.de — architectural visualization based in germany
https://www.instagram.com/nookta_visualization/

2020-04-04, 20:34:22
Reply #14

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are the planes connected in a single "pane" or just one behind the other?
In this render you'll see with two planes one behind the other you get a single reflection, while with the "pane"(cube primitve) you get the double reflection. Same distance in both cases.