Author Topic: Saving out non linear sRGB from PV?  (Read 4831 times)

2017-07-05, 10:21:24

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
More a C4D Q but perhaps linked to corona output in C4D. I've recently bought affinity photo and really like some of its features. Some of the work flow might need getting used to though. However the main stumbling block is its non handling of linear workspace images - i.e. what gets saved out of C4D by default. When I open up my multipass psd file that I've saved out of the C4D picture viewer in photoshop I immediately convert it to pure sRGB from linear space which saves a lot of head aches further down the line. But in Affinity it just opens up without a colour profile and is black and contrasty. I cant see any way to adjust this in affinity. The only options you have is to convert the space once its open but it just converts the dark image which is no good. Is there a way in C4D to just save out a pure sRGB version (16bit) rather than it retaining the linear colour space?

Thanks 

2017-07-05, 12:05:32
Reply #1

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Sorry for that, though I must say it's more of a problem of the affinity photo software. I'll ask the core guys if they're planning to change the way VFB is exporting the image. In the meantime, you can try saving the image through the Cinema Picture Viewer or using the "Save" option in render settings and selecting a color profile there.

2017-07-05, 14:18:40
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, Affinity should be able to handle this you are right. Makes it pretty much useless for multipass rendering.

But on the other hand I wish there was a way to just save out non linear PSD files as for me at least linear files are problematic, like there is a colour shift if you finish all your editing and save out an sRGB Jpeg which can be frustrating. I find it safer to just do everything in sRGB so there are no surprises.

I already save out of PV as the corona options are very limited - something I really wish could be fixed. You only have massive EXR files or compressed 8 bit file options. a 16 bit PSD or Tiff would be really helpful. The problem is that the PV saves out linear files, so I was wondering if there was anything Corona could do to stop the linear pipeline as it gets sent to the PV for saving. I think this is only a problem with multipass files but I could be wrong.

"or using the "Save" option in render settings and selecting a color profile there."

This could be interesting - I cant find this, which render setting are you referring to? Thanks

2017-07-05, 15:33:14
Reply #3

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
This is what it looks like in C4D R17:

2017-07-05, 15:40:41
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh sure, yeah that makes no difference. I can save out a PSD no probs its the colour space within it.

2017-07-05, 16:49:21
Reply #5

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
If the render is too dark then you probably need to apply gamma correction to it. Try adding a gamma correction layer with a 2.2 correction on top - in AP that is.

If the result is matching what you get in the Picture Viewer then I guess I'd look inside the import settings in AP and search for anything that resembles gamma correction.

Remember though that a correction of 2.2 is not exact so its not the perfect solution (I guess, depending on what you are doing anyway).
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-07-05, 18:32:59
Reply #6

Riebner

• Users
    • View Profile
You can do all transforms from linear sRGB 32 bit to non linear sRGB 8bit in affinity as well.

1: check AP preferences/colour to be sure you use the correct colour profiles for all your work.

2: after import of the linear 32 bit sRGB document you have to reduce the big 32 bit colour space to a 8 bit compatible colour space. You do that in the AP Tonemapping Persona. it is your first artistic step.

3: after tonemapping you can export the document in the AP Export Persona. Here you can set the 8bit sRGB colour profile you wish

I hope my description leeds to success.

HGR

2017-07-06, 16:08:18
Reply #7

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK I have found a way to get there just about, thanks to Kirk on the affinity forum. Basically you have to load an OCIO adjustment layer and load in a linear to sRGB profile downloaded from the OCIO website. Once you load it in you get the same looking file as we see in the frame buffer and you can save it as a preset for next time. Im now trying to find a way to make that adjustement layer permanent for the whole stack of render passes. But it does at least work and you can save a jpeg out without any extra settings and the colour shift isnt too bad.

2017-07-07, 13:53:35
Reply #8

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Oh sure, yeah that makes no difference. I can save out a PSD no probs its the colour space within it.

I don't think I understand... So you can save a PSD file, but it has a color profile attached to it and afphoto cannot work with the color profile? I am afraid that's really not any issue of Corona... But correct me if I'm wrong, we'll gladly look at it if there's something we can do.