Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088681 times)

2015-07-24, 10:06:57
Reply #675

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, translucency settings are ignored completely atm. I tried to do some - at least - "useful" conversion but I didn't succeed. I'm open for suggestions how to map those to CoronaMtl translucency/SSS though. Everything I tried looked pretty bad and thus I decided to ignore those settings since most shaders looked better without it than with a f***ed up conversion.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-07-24, 10:29:23
Reply #676

Berjoyce

• Active Users
  • Started 3D in October 2010
    • View Profile

2015-07-24, 10:33:42
Reply #677

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Fixed! Sorry, I pressed the wrong button in my upload script and killed the public build =/

2015-07-24, 10:53:59
Reply #678

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
You just have to play a little with the Backside color. Light objects need higher "Value" and lower "Sat" in Corona. Dark objects need lower "Value" and higher "Sat" in Corona.
If you make the converter copy those two values I posted, you get a base to play with.

These color values will give you the same SSS shader. I'm rendering out an example now, will post it when it's done.

Example added
« Last Edit: 2015-07-24, 14:08:50 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2015-07-28, 19:07:37
Reply #679

Elviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Elviz 3D Visual Arts
How one can go vice-versa from converting corona bitmaps ?
My chosen render-farm supports only the previous version of the renderer, before Corona-Bitmaps was introduced (so I don't see any texture where the script was applied).

Solution:
Use daily build 1.1.6 to convert back
« Last Edit: 2015-07-28, 19:27:29 by Elviz »
Elviz - 3D Visual Arts
www.elviz.co.il
elirender@gmail.com

2015-07-28, 22:51:06
Reply #680

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
You just have to play a little with the Backside color. Light objects need higher "Value" and lower "Sat" in Corona. Dark objects need lower "Value" and higher "Sat" in Corona.
If you make the converter copy those two values I posted, you get a base to play with.
I'll make some tests next time I'm working on the converter. Thanks for the input :)

2015-07-29, 10:47:01
Reply #681

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
which renderfarm is that?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-08-03, 12:34:12
Reply #682

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I've been porting over some of my SSS shaders and I noticed two missing inputs.
If the v-ray shader is using "Hard" "Soft" or "Hybrid" model, link these values.

Ok, I made an implementation and did some tests and I remember why I didn't do it in the first place. If I convert a very simple material with a white Back-side color, everything slows down dramatically. Since Corona has a white scattering color after conversion, there is no energy loss at all and rays bounce around in the volume too much. Vrays backside color is acting as a multiplier on the fog, in corona this is not the case. I'd have to multiply the back-side color with the absoption color and put it back in the scattering field which is way too unpredictable for an automatic solution. It's easy to get horrible slow render times. Same thing for the directionality. Vray uses a default 1.0 forward/backward coefficient, which results in a -1.0 directionality in corona - which is again causing longer render times. Coronas default is 0.0 (probably equivalent to vray 0.5), I could somehow change the default behavior and try to guess what users normally do but it would still lead to unpredictable results and may cause huge slow downs - too risky for me.
So, long story short: Not going to implement this, sorry.

2015-08-03, 13:17:34
Reply #683

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
Not going to implement this, sorry.

I understand, thanks for the information :)
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2015-08-05, 12:05:59
Reply #684

iddqd

• Users
    • View Profile
I've got an error report using corona render, and it asked me to send this report here. So the report attached to this post)

2015-08-05, 12:10:04
Reply #685

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Uhm... the report is nearly empty. Apart from the first line there's nothing in it. Is this how it was displayed in the error window?

2015-08-05, 14:35:28
Reply #686

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Hi,

Installed 1.2 the other day for a trial run, with whatever the bundled converter version is.

I converted a scene from vray to corona and noticed that some materials when rendered were covered in black spots of various types and sizes. I discovered that the converter had resulted in some strange values for Reflection glossiness, such as 0.68254 or something like this. When I rounded it down to 0.68 the black spots disappeared. I guess this is a rounding issue with the converter? I would guess that you might need to limit it to 2 or 3 decimal places, perhaps.

Not sure if this has already been reported.

I also noticed that when I ran the converter, it flagged up that there were a number of Autodesk materials (Which had been generated from the Revit model I imported), and the converter would rename these with a prefix (AD_ or something like this), but actually I didn't find any such materials in the scene after the conversion.

Many thanks.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-08-05, 16:21:18
Reply #687

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I converted a scene from vray to corona and noticed that some materials when rendered were covered in black spots of various types and sizes. I discovered that the converter had resulted in some strange values for Reflection glossiness, such as 0.68254 or something like this. When I rounded it down to 0.68 the black spots disappeared. I guess this is a rounding issue with the converter? I would guess that you might need to limit it to 2 or 3 decimal places, perhaps.
Well, in my opinion this is a Corona bug. It shouldn't matter if you use 5.099999999 glossiness or 5.09 glossiness. There mustn't be any rendering issues. If you have a scene where this behavior can be observed, you should report it as a bug in the bug reporting forum section!
Better rounding is not a bad idea though, I'll make a note, thanks :)

I also noticed that when I ran the converter, it flagged up that there were a number of Autodesk materials (Which had been generated from the Revit model I imported), and the converter would rename these with a prefix (AD_ or something like this), but actually I didn't find any such materials in the scene after the conversion.
Hmm... Do you have a scene you could send me where this happens? It's a bit hard to debug without a file to test it =/
It may happen that some materials will not convert right after importing something, saving the max file before converting will solve that problem (a max updating thing..) but that would not lead to a Autodesk material warning as far as I remember.

2015-08-05, 22:36:19
Reply #688

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
I don't think I'd be able to send you the scene for testing I'm afraid, but I'll try to get you a simplified version if I can reproduce the error(s). Good to know about saving before running the script. That might be a reason why the latter issue happened.

I'll try to report the rounding issue as a bug as well.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-08-07, 13:21:44
Reply #689

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
for all of you who are eager to test the new CoronaLayeredMtl :)

FOLLOWING SCRIPT IS ONLY WORKING WITH DAILY BUILDS!
Get it here: http://www.racoon-artworks.de/CoronaConverter/CoronaConverter.html

changelog:
v1.17 - [2015/08/07]
  • added CoronaLightMtl to legacy mode Tool
  • added support for VrayBlend conversion to new CoronaLayeredMtl
  • added VrayMtl anisotropy map channel conversion
  • VrayMtl glossiness values are now clamped to 2 decimals