Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1095989 times)

2014-07-01, 01:02:30
Reply #285

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Romullus, just found it. I probably should have looked first :/

2014-07-01, 19:11:39
Reply #286

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
For the sake of completeness. v0.19 is included in A7 but I'll make the changelog note here anyways.
Just a little update, wish from Adam ;)

changelog:
*v0.19
  • "convert glossy values (experimental)" is now ON by default

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-07-02, 01:32:10
Reply #287

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As previously mentioned, it was already in the file as I found out as soon as I opened MAXscript, but for the sake of politeness, Thanks again Dead Clown :)

2014-07-10, 23:27:12
Reply #288

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
For the daily builds users (2014-07-10), others can update too but the new feature won't work for them ;)

changelog:
*v0.20
  • added 2 buttons for material energy conservation modes, primarily to convert old scenes to new energy conservation

2014-07-17, 17:48:04
Reply #289

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Hi, is there a way to make te corona converter a button? (one that can be on the command panel) Or on the Quad menu?

2014-07-17, 18:21:42
Reply #290

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Open the script file and replace..
Code: [Select]
--macroScript CoronaMtlConverter
--category: "Corona Renderer"
...by...
Code: [Select]
macroScript CoronaMtlConverter
category: "Corona Renderer"

Then rename the script to .mcr and put it into either (last one preferred)
"C:\3ds Max 2014\MacroScripts"
or
"C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2014 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros"

then restart max.

2014-07-19, 16:33:34
Reply #291

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
DeadClown

To me, your script is so importante than the corona itself, it made my transition from mentalray almost instantly. The hability of convert a hole scene in a few minutes made me abandon mental ray in last than a week after knowing Corona, and even the olders projects that i need do revisit, I passed to convert to corona.

So, thank you so much!

Corona is the best and so do your script!

I'm very greatfull.

Ronald

2014-07-19, 16:36:25
Reply #292

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for your feedback :) Don't hesitate to let me know if there's something that can be made better ;)

2014-08-01, 01:47:52
Reply #293

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Totally agree with @Ronaljung

Without this script the move from Vray would never have happened. We have literally 1000s of assets in vray format and (at the time) current projects in Vray. All of which with a single button press was working in Corona.

Corona is working really well for us here, but the real hero of how that happened is your script. 

I have a small request, that im not sure if is possible to change.  Sometimes when converting really high IOR or high reflective materials from Vray, the script makes a corona material with IOR 999.99 and I understand that this may technically be correct, but it looks very odd when rendering. You get some intense highlights often. I personally fix this by changing the IOR back down to like 16-32 but in reality I think it would be perfect if the script just put it to 32, instead of 999 ? 

2014-08-01, 10:44:10
Reply #294

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I have a small request, that im not sure if is possible to change.  Sometimes when converting really high IOR or high reflective materials from Vray, the script makes a corona material with IOR 999.99 and I understand that this may technically be correct, but it looks very odd when rendering. You get some intense highlights often. I personally fix this by changing the IOR back down to like 16-32 but in reality I think it would be perfect if the script just put it to 32, instead of 999 ? 

I'm really glad that you find this script so helpful, that makes it a pleasure to maintain :)

mhh... yes, I get this request a lot, it's time to do something about it. I think I'll add an option to override the non-fresnel conversion. Instead of 999 you'd have a spinner and a checkbox to override it to whatever you want.

2014-08-01, 11:13:05
Reply #295

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
DeadClown thank you so much for your hard work. This script is getting better and better. I have a small request :D

What do you think of not only converting the materials, but also having the option to convert Vray proxies? I know that there is already a script that do that, but it would be great to have everything combine into a single script.

2014-08-01, 11:35:49
Reply #296

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Well, I think: Better make a tool that does 1 thing great than a tool that does many things halfhearted. There are already 2 proxy converters out there and I don't think it would be a good thing to start another one. I understand that it'd look convenient but I they are doing pretty different things and I you'd have to think about paths and file handling and stuff like that - which requests user input and makes the process much more difficult.
I don't use proxies very often so I may not be the best choice to do something like that anyways ;)

2014-08-01, 12:11:43
Reply #297

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Thanks for the reply DeadClown. This idea come to mind yesterday while I was converting an old scene and after converting the materials I realized that the proxies were missing. Anyway, keep the good work :D

2014-08-15, 01:03:22
Reply #298

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Love the new functionality ! Esp. the "show maps" :- ) Makes everything so much better.

What is the reason behind the plugin not placing itself directly into macro script but needing to replace those two lines first. It's only very small hassle but I presume everyone would like to create button from it ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-08-15, 10:07:44
Reply #299

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Well, the idea behind it was that people can just drag & drop it from anywhere they have saved it to. I learned that people are often confused by macroscripts ("I ran the script but nothing happens!!!"), especially beginners. You have to place macroscripts in a specific folder and many people are just not reading any readme or description at all. So to make things fool proof , I made the macroscript part optional.
But as far as I know, it will be included in the final commercial version as a macroscript, like the proxy converter ;)